Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vuelta 2018 Route Stage 20: Escaldes-Engordany - Coll de La Gallina

Options
  • 14-09-2018 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭

This is a short brutally hard stage, not far off rivaling the famed hardest GT Stage ever that took place in the same setting of Andorra a couple of Vuelta's back, this time we pack over 3000m of climbing into just 97.3km. It will be very hard to control and while Yates seems to be clearly the strongest rider in the race his Mitchelton Scott team will have to ride hard to control a number of teams looking to move up the GC on the final contested stage before the parade into Madrid on Sunday.

Saturday, 15 September 2018 - The last mountain stage of the Vuelta a España amounts to merely 97.3 kilometres, yet takes in more than 3,000 vertical metres. The 20th stage travels over Andorra’s hardest climbs and should provide a dramatic conclusion to the mountains of 2018's last Grand Tour.

The Vuelta’s penultimate stage begins with its only flat section before the riders tackle the Coll de la Comella at kilometre 1. It’s not the hardest climb of the day, but – at 4.7 kilometres at 6.8% – perfect to stretch the legs. Or to move into the breakaway…

The Coll de Beixalis is next on the list of six climbs in today’s road book. The Beixalis amounts to 9.7 kilometres and the average gradient is 6.8%, while its steepest stretch is 14%.

Straight after the descent the Coll de Ordino looms. The 11.2 kilometres at 6.5% is crested after 42 kilometres before the route continues for a few kilometres in rolling fashion. The descent back into the valley runs to the foot of the Coll de Beixalis, which is approached from the northern side this time. It’s the same climb, but the slope starts a few kilometres later. This way the Beixalis amounts to 6.5 kilometres at 8.3%.

And on it goes. The penultimate ascent does ring a bell, too. The route goes back up on the Coll de La Comella, but the second drag up to the top is on the other side. For 4 kilometres the route climbs at 4.9% before the top is crested with 16.5 kilometres to go.

The final climb, Coll de La Gallina, is widely rated as Andorra’s hardest climb. The final haul up to the line amounts to 7.7 kilometres with an average gradient of 7.8%. The Gallina is known for its double digit switchbacks not too far from the summit.

The first three riders on the line take time bonuses of 10, 6 and 4 seconds, while the intermediate sprint (at kilometre 30.5) comes with 3, 2 and 1 seconds.

The 20th stage of the 2018 Vuelta a España starts at 14:54 and the finish is expected around 17:40 – both local times (scheduled times).
    Route Map

stage-20-route.jpg

Route Profile

stage-20-profile.jpg?01

Coll de Beixalis - 1st and 3rd Climb

stage-20-coll-de-beixalis.jpg

Coll de Ordino - 2nd Climb

stage-20-coll-de-ordino.jpg

Coll de La Gallina - Final Climb

stage-20-coll-de-la-gallina.jpg

Last Kms

stage-20-5km.jpg?01

GC Standings

nSyN0hB.png

KOM Standings - 53 Points available maximum tomorrow

CVaoTBI.png

Points Standings - Sagan v Valverde. With only 25 points available for winning a stage, Valverde is almost nailed on to win this, but Sagan is still mathmatically possible with 2 stages and intermediate points remaining.

7I4NBm3.png

The Bookies Take

Miguel Angel Lopez 9/2
    Thibaut Pinot 5
    Simon Yates 5
    Alejandro Valverde 8
    Nairo Quintana 10
    Rafal Majka 12
    Enric Mas Nicolau 14
    Steven Kruijswijk 14
    Ilnur Zakarin 22
    Alessandro De Marchi 25
    David de la Cruz 25
    Michal Kwiatkowski 33
    Vincenzo Nibali 33
    Wilco Kelderman 33
    Michael Woods 40
    Rigoberto Uran 40
    Pello Bilbao 50
    Daniel Moreno 66
    Dylan Teuns 66
    Fabio Aru 66
    Pierre Rolland 66
    Tony Gallopin 66
    Adam Yates 66
    Ben King 66
    Bauke Mollema 80
    Gianluca Brambilla 80
    Jan Hirt 80
    Mikel Bizkarra 80
    Omar Fraile 80
    Oscar Rodriguez 80
    Richard Carapaz 80
    Rudy Molard 80
    Davide Formolo 100
    George Bennett 100
    Sergio Luis Henao 100

Comments

Could get interesting early if Mate decides he wants to try and take back the jersey from de Gendt.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Could get interesting early if Mate decides he wants to try and take back the jersey from de Gendt.

Yep if the break gets some leeway unlike today, there are a shed load of points to be had even before the final climb, could make for an interesting battle if a couple of the lads near the top of the standings can infiltrate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Live coverage is starting on Eurosport at 1.45 so that means we will see the whole stage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I'd say it a breakaway day today

So possibly Mollema or Majka ..or indeed Teuns

Not sure why de Marchi finished so hard yesterday and didn't save himself for today?
    Maybe he wants to be a GC rider next year for CCC ??

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Not sure why de Marchi finished so hard yesterday and didn't save himself for today?
    Maybe he wants to be a GC rider next year for CCC ??

I was wondering that myself. When I saw him in the lead group during the climb I thought initially that Porte had finally pulled the finger out and started riding again. But then realised it was De Marchi. As you said, I don't know why he was putting in so much effort

• Advertisement

So I think it's crystal clear that Simon Yates is the strongest rider in the race yet... He could lose it all today because the route is so tough.

A rider with Valverde's palmares should risk everything today because another GT podium finish wouldn't mean a whole lot, but it's Valverde we are talking about. Movistar played all their cards yesterday and shot their bolt. Quintana doesn't have the legs and I don't think the rest of the team have much left in the tank.

Kruijswijk will be happy to settle for a podium spot in my opinion so I can see him being happy to ride conservatively and not launch any attacks (I hope I'm wrong and that he goes on a kamikaze attack early on!)

Enric Mas is the unknown. His focus is surely on getting on the final podium. He might wait to see if Valverde or Kruijswijk crack, and then try to capitalise.

Superman Lopez is the biggest danger to Yates I think. Astana have said that their plan was to not attack yesterday and wait for today. Lopez has looked good when he has attacked and could be further up the GC if it wasn't for some messing about with Quintana on a couple of days. That all being said, he wasn't able to get into the Yates/Kruijswijk/Pinot group yesterday.

My prediction is for Yates to win the stage, otherwise Majka to win from the breakaway and Yates to be the first GC rider accross the line

The reason I think the breakaway will win is because MS wont chase as wont need to and wont want to put pressure on Yates.
    I also dont think Movistar will not repeat the chase of yesterday as that could be fatal for Valverdes chances
    And as for Astana I cannot see MAL chasing ..He has been a bit of a disappointment for me in the way he rides

The only way Simon Yates loses this is if he is on a bad day

But I expect riders to be all over the road...This stage was made for a Contador attack but none of the top GC guys ride like Contador. Not even MAS

With the gaps yesterday I don't see the bonifications in play today really, will one team try and rip it up or will they wait until the final climb? There could be decent gaps, gaps enough to shake up the podium if not the winner, on that final climb even though it doesn't go all the way to the top.

The stage has started.
    TDG showing everyone who's boss by taking the KOM points on the first climb

De Gendt, Kwiatkowski, Mollema, Majka, Nibali among others trying to get into the breakaway

• Advertisement

And onto the next climb already.

Fabio Aru with a late attack off the front ???

Nicolas Roche in the break but looking a bit too heavy

Quintana explodes the peleton big style, before being brought back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Inquitus wrote: »
    Quintana explodes the peleton big style, before being brought back.

I don't think he'll go yet, next time around maybe, I hope!

Yates is nervous today, giving out to the motorbike cameras for pacing 😅😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 14,120 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Yates is nervous today, giving out to the motorbike cameras for pacing 😅😅😅

Looks like he only has his brother left, 3 more climbs to come

retalivity wrote: »
    Looks like he only has his brother left, 3 more climbs to come

It is being strung out now alright so hopefully fireworks on this climb

Lopez and Astana go for it!

Looks like its all coming together.

Quintana attacks again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,682 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Quintana attacks again

And sits on a wheel again.

Yates attack with Mas the only one to follow

dahat wrote: »
    And sits on a wheel again.

He's done a fair share on the front today, you can see Lopez is stronger so where do you expect him to go?

Hmmm Yates can't stick with Mas and MAL, though he seems to be pacing himself.

Inquitus wrote: »
    Hmmm Yates can't stick with Mas and MAL, though he seems to be pacing himself.

They would need about 2 minutes, if he waits for next group he'll be fine I'd say?

They would need about 2 minutes, if he waits for next group he'll be fine I'd say?

Aye with 4.8km and the gaps he has he should be good, as long as he doesn't bonk badly.

Especially with Valverde going backwards....could lose his podium here.

Can Mas and lopez take the podium places now?

Can Mas and lopez take the podium places now?

I think thats done and dusted now, Yates, Mas, MAL as our Podium.

• Advertisement

Uran and pinot just mug sk after him pulling on the front, there goes his podium position

Advertisement