Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filing a claim with MiBi

Options
  • 14-09-2018 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Has anyone on here ever filed a claim with the Motor Insurers Bureau of Ireland? My car with hit twice in less than two weeks while parked in front of my home. The Guards recommended I filed a claim with these people, said I will not lose my no claims discount by filing with them. Just curious if anyone has filed with these people before and how long it took to hear from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

For property damage claims, you have to identify the person who hit you as being uninsured. A hit and run is not sufficient. If you do identify the uninsured party, your own insurer handles the claim on behalf of the MIBI and you don't lose any NCB or have any rate increase

Vehicle/Property Damage Claims:

Vehicle/property claims are covered under the MIBI compensation scheme however the alleged offending vehicle must be identified by means of a valid registration plate. In instances where the alleged offending vehicle cannot be identified MIBI has no liability to pay compensation for vehicle/property damage unless there are significant personal injuries arising from the same accident. In certain circumstances an excess may apply to vehicle/property damage claims e.g. an excess of €220 applies to vehicle claims, where the offending vehicle was stolen at the time the incident occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ohoopee

And what does a person do about hit and runs? I had never heard of MiBI until the guards told me about them when they were investigating the second incident. I am 90 percent sure who hit me the second time, the problem is he denied it and the guards could not prove it without a shadow of a doubt...I think the guy is insured but the guards can't prove he did it. So what happens to people who get hit by hit and runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The MIBI is "insurer of last resort". If you do identify the other party and he is insured, it is his policy you make a claim against. If you can't establish it was him, you either look after your own damage or claim under your own policy, with the usual excess and loss of bonus

Advertisement