Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building bike from scratch

Options
  • 13-09-2018 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭

Hypothetically , should a person decide they want to build their own motorbike from scratch, is there any legislation to cover this in Ireland.

Say I took a donor engine from another bike and built a frame around it with a bespoke design. What would I have to do to get it on the road legally ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Start with a registered frame...everything else can be changed..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

D3V!L wrote: »
    Hypothetically , should a person decide they want to build their own motorbike from scratch, is there any legislation to cover this in Ireland.

Say I took a donor engine from another bike and built a frame around it with a bespoke design. What would I have to do to get it on the road legally ?

A friend of mine builds frames for a living, in the UK.

Due to EU Type Approval legislation it would be a big issue.
    And, if you cross that barrier, Revenue will want VRT and VAT on it register it as well.
    Which brings you to thorny issue of insuring it....

By all means build, but work - and modify if needs be - a registered frame....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭D3V!L

galwaytt wrote: »
    By all means build, but work - and modify if needs be - a registered frame....

Seems to be the way to go. How much of the original frame is needed for it to be considered the same bike ? I'm presuming the VIN has to be still intact etc.

correct....what you thinking...chopper....:eek:

Nope, something stupid with a big engine.

• Advertisement

Like this.........:D:D:D:D:D:D..imaging trying to describe that to carole nash

012abe29634a5fa5cebd8f5784ecad86.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I resemble that remark!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Zebbedee

Like this.........:D:D:D:D:D:D..imaging trying to describe that to carole nash

012abe29634a5fa5cebd8f5784ecad86.jpg
    Vomit Comet it says!:)
    Looks like it corners like a dream :D
    You have to admire the guys sense of humour

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Seems to be the way to go. How much of the original frame is needed for it to be considered the same bike ? I'm presuming the VIN has to be still intact etc.

I've seen plenty of frame headstocks for sale with the VIN plate attached, thats all you need.
    Cheaper than sending an entire frame for sure.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I've seen plenty of frame headstocks for sale with the VIN plate attached, thats all you need.
    Cheaper than sending an entire frame for sure.

Cool, I'm on the right track so.

• Advertisement

Cool, I'm on the right track so.

Just be careful if youre building the frame yourself...the PC police will be along shortly to pi$$ on yer chips.....;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭blade1

something stupid with a big engine.

A return to Harley Davidson!!! Wow! :pac: :pac:

Have a look here at the bike he built for himself, whilst working at Metisse.

Tony Scott engined TDM Special - now with 90k miles - MILES - on it. And this is it in the 90k condition.....

https://galwaytt.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Mojo-Motorbikes/

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Tony Scott engined TDM Special - now with 90k miles - MILES - on it. And this is it in the 90k condition.....

Each to his own....:o

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

I love the TDM engine, maybe I'm getting old but every time I start mine it excites me more than any other bike :p

op, get a frame with a book and chop away ;)
    And enjoy !

mamax wrote: »
    I love the TDM engine, maybe I'm getting old but every time I start mine it excites me more than any other bike :p

op, get a frame with a book and chop away ;)
    And enjoy !

Totally agree they sound great..but considering their achilles heel (clutch) doesnt look like he considered a problem when he built that frame...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

Totally agree they sound great..but considering their achilles heel (clutch) doesnt look like he considered a problem when he built that frame...:)

Yep the RHS looks weird compared to the way the LHS has been done

mamax wrote: »
    Yep the RHS looks weird compared to the way the LHS has been done

Thats as bad...how does he get to the sprocket nut.:confused:...a easier solution would been to have copied (to a degree) a TRX frame and put the swing arm etc onto that...:)

Thats as bad...how does he get to the sprocket nut.:confused:...a easier solution would been to have copied (to a degree) a TRX frame and put the swing arm etc onto that...:)

Copying a TRX frame would have counter productive.

This bike weighs sfa and with GP forks and magnesium wheels rides like a 250.

Ode To The Motorist

Copying a TRX frame would have counter productive.

This bike weighs sfa and with GP forks and magnesium wheels rides like a 250.

Not getting what you're saying there....:confused:

• Advertisement

Not getting what you're saying there....:confused:

Faster, more comfortable, lighter than a TRX.

That and the fact it's made-to-measure, with adjustable geometry to suit the owner's whim, with a whole raft of clever touches from the oil-in-frame storage, to the electrical package as well as quick-release luggage & rack. Look where the u-lock is stored for example.

Bar the front fairing (Triumph) All the body work, tank, hugger etc all made by hand.

You don't have to like it, but the workmanship speaks for itself.

He's being doing this as a full-time job professionally, for 28+ years, so he knows what he's at, including stuff far more exotic than this.

Ode To The Motorist

Faster, more comfortable, lighter than a TRX.

That and the fact it's made-to-measure, with adjustable geometry to suit the owner's whim, with a whole raft of clever touches from the oil-in-frame storage, to the electrical package as well as quick-release luggage & rack. Look where the u-lock is stored for example.

Bar the front fairing (Triumph) All the body work, tank, hugger etc all made by hand.

You don't have to like it, but the workmanship speaks for itself.

He's being doing this as a full-time job professionally, for 28+ years, so he knows what he's at, including stuff far more exotic than this.

See what yer sayin but he could as i said copied the style and engine fit of the gorgeous TRX frame , which probably been even lighter than what he did....i see your points but i've found that too much knowledge can be worse that not enough....the welding is subline...;)

See what yer sayin but he could as i said copied the style and engine fit of the gorgeous TRX frame , which probably been even lighter than what he did....i see your points but i've found that too much knowledge can be worse that not enough....the welding is subline...;)

His frames generally, and he builds competition MX frames for historic MX eg early 70's 500cc Yamaha's, are 50% lighter than a factory frame....a factory frame is always heavier.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement