Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question Regarding Fibre Infrastructure

Options
  • 13-09-2018 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

saw some guys pulling clear tubing through underground ducts along the road near my home and wondering if it may be for fibre? Its's a rural road.

The area is pencilled in for FTTH on the Eir rollout list for Winter 2018.

They also have some of the clear tubing coming up out of the ground near a phone pole and rolled up and taped to the pole with white tape.

The clear tubing has the following printed on it - 'Eircom 14/10MM - 182705 - 01006M'

Appreciate if anyone could give me some hope it may finally be a sign fibre could be on the way?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

iPhone. wrote: »
    Hi folks,

saw some guys pulling clear tubing through underground ducts along the road near my home and wondering if it may be for fibre? Its's a rural road.

The area is pencilled in for FTTH on the Eir rollout list for Winter 2018.

They also have some of the clear tubing coming up out of the ground near a phone pole and rolled up and taped to the pole with white tape.

The clear tubing has the following printed on it - 'Eircom 14/10MM - 182705 - 01006M'

Appreciate if anyone could give me some hope it may finally be a sign fibre could be on the way?

Yes it is ducting for fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Cheers! thanks for the confirmation.

Can't believe its actually finally underway.

Do you have any idea how long it takes them in general to progress from this stage to fibre being available in the home by any chance once they've started this process?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Anywhere from 3 to 24 months. No real predicting.

Cheers! thanks for the confirmation.

Can't believe its actually finally underway.

Do you have any idea how long it takes them in general to progress from this stage to fibre being available in the home by any chance once they've started this process?

I think you would be very lucky to have it available by the end of the year. eir's latest statement is that the whole project will be finished by July 2019 but that date is a revised prediction having previously stated they would be finished by the end of 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

The ducting can be a couple of weeks then the black bpeo boxes put up
    Then diffusion or some other crowd come out blow fibre through and make it off in the boxes. Then testing
    Then it becomes live.
    Then the hard part starts getting it into your place and trying to order it.
    When you see the boxes getting up on the poles you should try to prepare your site. Get your duct checked or run a draw rope to your house. If you have a pole trim any trees that might impede line coming over. Any other issues you'll just have to wait till installation to find out.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the info, It'll give me an idea of what to look out for and maybe get some sort of timeline of what's next from that.

In fairness to the guys I saw pulling that clear tubing they were working their asses off, one of the guys was literally running along the road.

I would say they were contractors, not Eir staff, I didn't see any Eir vans about anywhere.

Great to see its started even though, delighted about that regardless of how long it takes to finish.

EDIT - I noticed today that they have marked something in white paint on each of the Eir Manhole Lids.

Thanks for all the info, It'll give me an idea of what to look out for and maybe get some sort of timeline of what's next from that.

In fairness to the guys I saw pulling that clear tubing they were working their asses off, one of the guys was literally running along the road.

I would say they were contractors, not Eir staff, I didn't see any Eir vans about anywhere.

Great to see its started even though, delighted about that regardless of how long it takes to finish.

EDIT - I noticed today that they have marked something in white paint on each of the Eir Manhole Lids.

It is mainly KN networks who do most of the work. Manholes and poles will be marked to aid placement of the distribution boxes that serve premises.

Hi Folks,

Saw some activity today at one of the poles coming off a side road.

I've added some pics of the pole with the original Conduit which was taped to it recently and a pic of the same pole after they finished today.

Seems to be a black cable running underground now and coming out via the conduit that was previously taped to the pole. It has some sort of an orange and clear plastic cap on the end of the cable.

Is this fibre and is it a positive sign that Fibre may be about to be ran on this stretch of road?

EDIT - Looking at the pictures again it appears the conduit has been replaced completely by that black cable?

Hi Folks,

Saw some activity today at one of the poles coming off a side road.

I've added some pics of the pole with the original Conduit which was taped to it recently and a pic of the same pole after they finished today.

Seems to be a black cable running underground now and coming out via the conduit that was previously taped to the pole. It has some sort of an orange and clear plastic cap on the end of the cable.

Is this fibre and is it a positive sign that Fibre may be about to be ran on this stretch of road?

EDIT - Looking at the pictures again it appears the conduit has been replaced completely by that black cable?

They are both ducting. The fibre will eventually be blown or pushed through it. The fibre will just look like a normal black cable.

Cheers, thanks for that.

Why would they go to the bother of replacing the clear ducting with the black ducting if it does the same thing?

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for that.

Why would they go to the bother of replacing the clear ducting with the black ducting if it does the same thing?

Good question! I'm not entirely sure. Are there any markings on the black/yellow duct? Perhaps it is a larger diameter or more robust.

Doesn't seem to be any markings on the black ducting other than yellow lines.

Doesn't seem to be any markings on the black ducting other than yellow lines.

Strange! The clear duct was obviously installed in error and had to be replaced but I am unsure of the reason.

The cap on the end is just a seal to prevent contaminant ingress.

http://www.radiustelecoms.com/products/fttx-microtubing-systems/connectors/

http://www.radiustelecoms.com/products/fttx-microtubing-systems/miniglide-microtubing/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In my area the black hydrodare, about 20mm diameter, was used to push/pull the main distribution cable through between rural poles, while the clear ducting was for blowing the fibre from the exchange the longer distance to the first overhead pole on the route.

The Cush wrote: »
    In my area the black hydrodare, about 20mm diameter, was used to push/pull the main distribution cable through between rural poles, while the clear ducting was for blowing the fibre from the exchange the longer distance to the first overhead pole on the route.

That was 20/16 plain black piping though (they used it in my area too) and the fact that they bothered to cap this duct makes it seem like they are going to blow fibre through it.

Cheers, thanks for that.

From your picture the original clear duct was not capped so perhaps moisture or other contaminants got in and it had to be replaced. That is just a guess though.

They went to a lot of trouble anyways, they had to dig and fill a channel in the road again to replace the clear ducting with the black one. I have no idea where the ducting runs to, the channel they dug is visible for a run of about 15 feet away from the pole down a side road and then seems to just stop, no sign of any manhole etc.

Any idea what it might be connecting to underground?

They went to a lot of trouble anyways, they had to dig and fill a channel in the road again to replace the clear ducting with the black one. I have no idea where the ducting runs to, the channel they dug is visible for a run of about 15 feet away from the pole down a side road and then seems to just stop, no sign of any manhole etc.

Any idea what it might be connecting to underground?

If you want to PM me some map coordinates or an Eircode of a premises near the pole I can take a look.

There are three two storey homes on that side road that are due to be covered. If you notice on Street View there is a high voltage ESB line crossing the side road so the telecom cables have had to be buried.

There is 38mm pipe running from the pole that you photographed to an access chamber opposite the second of those three homes. They would have installed the black/yellow duct into this pipe. They will then either push or likely blow the fibre cable through the black/yellow duct to feed those three homes.

There are three two storey homes on that side road that are due to be covered. If you notice on Street View there is a high voltage ESB line crossing the side road so the telecom cables have had to be buried.

There is 38mm pipe running from the pole that you photographed to an access chamber opposite the second of those three homes. They would have installed the black/yellow duct into this pipe. They will then either push or likely blow the fibre cable through the black/yellow duct to feed those three homes.

Thanks for that.

Any idea why they would have needed to dig that 15 foot channel each time when they were just pushing it through an existing larger duct that exited at the pole?

Not important, just curious.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

Any idea why they would have needed to dig that 15 foot channel each time when they were just pushing it through an existing larger duct that exited at the pole?

Not important, just curious.

At a guess the 38mm duct may end the 15 feet before the pole or may have some weird kink so when they replaced the clear duct they had to dig down again.

What do they do with the existing copper cable that runs through the ducts from the exchange after they have completed FTTH in a rural area?

Do they just leave it in place underground or remove it to free up the duct for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What do they do with the existing copper cable that runs through the ducts from the exchange after they have completed FTTH in a rural area?

Do they just leave it in place underground or remove it to free up the duct for the future?

The copper remains in place for those customers who cannot get or do not want FTTH, likely to be into the next decade before Comreg give approval for the decommissioning of the copper network.

They're back again today, this time running an orange coloured duct into the manholes on the road from a big roll on the back of a truck.

EDIT - Photo Added

Advertisement