Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was the taxi I got in even a real taxi? Frightening.

Options
  • 13-09-2018 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Got a taxi from O Connell St last night.

I flagged down a taxi and I got in said hello where I wanted to go. Next thing the taxi driver locks the doors. I realize there are no details of the driver on the dashboard such as photo or driver number, nothing. There was only a metre that said 4: 20 when I got in. This freaked me out. When I said where I need to go he was asking we where that was. There was no map for him to check it. He was driving very slow and took a turn into an estate in Cabra off the main road of where I was going. I was worried at this point. He said this is where he lives that his house is over there. I asked him to go back onto the main road and he did, but have no idea what he was doing? I had to direct him the whole way, when he stopped the taxi he told me to give him my number. I was there and locked in the back and did not trust this persons intentions so to keep it calm and get out sooner I gave him my number hesitantly. He then calls me to make sure it is my real number. He unlocks the door and I try and open the door but it is still locked even though he unlocked it. I make Light of it and he ends up getting out and opening it from the outside. As I was waiting to get in the door he stayed there watching me. He then texted me telling me his name, I never responded and have no intention on it.

What on earth was this do you think?

I never had any experience like that in a taxi before and at this point don't even know if it was a real taxi driver? I felt so unsafe the whole time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

If you have his number then I would pass it on to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Did you report?
    Do you have reg or taxi plate, if you do report.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lovelife92

Did you report?
    Do you have reg or taxi plate, if you do report.

No I don't have any details other than the name he gave me and his number

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭ESMITH29

Sounds like a horrible creep, be sure to block his number.

I always use the MyTaxi app. It gets me a taxi in under 2-3 minutes most of the time and you have complete traceability then.

Him asking you for your number is completely unprofessional and unsettling. I'd report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

lovelife92 wrote: »
    No I don't have any details other than the name he gave me and his number

Report him to the Gardai, that could have been a test for him to escalate his intentions to further action and someone else could be in serious danger.

• Advertisement

Report him to the Gardai, that could have been a test for him to escalate his intentions to further action and someone else could be in serious danger.

What do you mean a test for him to escalate his intentions? As in he was waiting for me to see if I was up for going to his house? : |

ESMITH29 wrote: »
    Sounds like a horrible creep, be sure to block his number.

I always use the MyTaxi app. It gets me a taxi in under 2-3 minutes most of the time and you have complete traceability then.

Him asking you for your number is completely unprofessional and unsettling. I'd report.

The lock thing terrified me I never had a taxi driver lock the door once I was in. That is not normal righr?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Report him to the Guards, They will forward his details on to the NTA or the Taxi regulator.

This guy should not be locking doors and asking lone women for their numbers. They may do a background check on him. And there is a potential you can save some other women from a similar experience or worse.

You should have written his plate number down its clearly displayed on the roof of the car!

He probably hid is dash badge because he pulls this stuff all the time.

You need to report this to the local station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

The lock thing terrified me I never had a taxi driver lock the door once I was in. That is not normal righr?

Did it lock once he started drivingby any chance? My cars locks the doors once I pull off.

I think you should tell the gards everything you've said here. If nothing else they might call him to give him a scare at the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

If the door had to be opened from the outside, it sounds like the child locks were on the back doors. I wouldnt even hesitate to report this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Go to a garda station now and tell them everything. Give them his name and phone number and hopefully they will be able to track him down.

You'd never know, someone who is this blatant and dumb could be responsible for sex attacks and assaults already. If you have contact information for him then you could potentially be instrumental in having a sex attacker/rapist apprehended be Gardai.

Please take action on this ASAP. As in without delay. When you go for lunch today contact the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

.... There was only a metre that said 4: 20 when I got in. ...

4:20 eh?? Sounds like you were picked up by a reefer-addict.......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Always use the NTA Driver Check app before getting into a taxi. The plate number or the ref will bring up the driver's details and there's an option to email a friend to say "I'm in this taxi".

Hope the Gardai can track this guy down

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Was there a taxi sign over the car? Was it branded as a taxi? Why did you think it was a taxi, apart from the fact that you had your hand up and it stopped?

kcdiom wrote: »
    If the door had to be opened from the outside, it sounds like the child locks were on the back doors. I wouldnt even hesitate to report this.

I know when I realized that, it scared the crap out of me. I think though was he dangerous because wouldn't he have done something? Why did he let me go?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Was there a taxi sign over the car? Was it branded as a taxi? Why did you think it was a taxi, apart from the fact that you had your hand up and it stopped?

I put my hand out because two taxis we're coming towards me and the first one stopped. Yes it had a sign above it. I was too scared to take a photo when I was waiting for someone to open the door ocean I got out because I just needed to get away.

Caranica wrote: »
    Always use the NTA Driver Check app before getting into a taxi. The plate number or the ref will bring up the driver's details and there's an option to email a friend to say "I'm in this taxi".

Hope the Gardai can track this guy down

So before I get in a taxi I meant to write down the number on top of the car? I've never seen anyone do that. I'm going to definitely have to take precautions next time. I was worried for my life.

ArthurG wrote: »
    4:20 eh?? Sounds like you were picked up by a reefer-addict.......

Is a reefer addict a stoner?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

But you know where he lives op and you have his phone number.

Go to your local cop shop and report.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I know when I realized that, it scared the crap out of me. I think though was he dangerous because wouldn't he have done something? Why did he let me go?

I would just be grateful he DID let you go. Chances are if he is dodgy the taxi sign would have been a fake anyway. Please report this and give as much detail as you can about the driver and the car, even insisting on having your phone number is not on, and a professional taxi driver would never do this. The next person might not be so lucky.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Report him to the Guards, They will forward his details on to the NTA or the Taxi regulator.

This guy should not be locking doors and asking lone women for their numbers. They may do a background check on him. And there is a potential you can save some other women from a similar experience or worse.

You should have written his plate number down its clearly displayed on the roof of the car!

He probably hid is dash badge because he pulls this stuff all the time.

You need to report this to the local station.

So you think he had bad intentions? I will make sure to get the taxi number on top in future.

What will I tell them? That I was locked in a taxi? And give them his phone number?

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

So you think he had bad intentions? I will make sure to get the taxi number on top in future.

What will I tell them? That I was locked in a taxi? And give them his phone number?

Tell them what you've said here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Its blatantly obvious. Tell them what you told us. Tell them where he pulled in and said it was his place, tell them his number. Everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭duffman3833

if he showed you where he lives, chances are the car is there, walk by and get the reg and report it

What sort of taxi driver hides his identity, locks a single woman in their car and then drives to their house, parks outside and tells them they live there?

Then refuses to let them out of the car until they give him their number, calls their phone to check, and only lets them out by opening the door themselves?

At the risk of over-dramatising things this could have easily been a dry run for something infinitely more unpleasant.

As others have said you need to talk to the guards immediately and tell them everything you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

if he showed you where he lives, chances are the car is there, walk by and get the reg and report it

I wouldn't advise walking by the guys house in case he recognises you.

Just go to the police and repeat everything you said in your OP. They will advise you from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Please report this to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

What how could you think any of this was normal! It sounds like you had a lucky escape from what could have been something much worse, report to gardai!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Op will you stop analysing this and trying to rationalise it.
    Stop wasting time.

That guy could well have another girl locked into his car as we speak or attacking her down a lane.

Whatever you are doing right now just stop it. It can wait. Get on the phone to the Gardai or go to your nearest Garda station and tell them literally everything you know about this. RIGHT NOW!

How would you feel if another girl had to go through what happened you or was raped because you didn't say anything to help stop it?

Even if he is a licenced taxi, which seems unlikely considering he has no ID or a proper meter, he is still a dirty creep for what he did and deserves to have the gardai quiz him fully.

For all we know he could have stolen that taxi sign off of a parked taxi.

• Advertisement

don't believe a word of it TBH. This happens and all you think of is, I'll put this on boards.ie!!

Walter Mitty stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement