Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED batten hums but only when ceiling rose junction box earth junction is used..

Options
  • 12-09-2018 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've got a 1.5m LED batten in my workshop.

1. When I first wired it in to the existing ceiling rose junction I used a Wago 222 to connect its earth to the existing two earth cables because there wasn't much slack. Doing this removed the earth junction in the rose from the circuit - i.e. all of the earth connections were still in place but used the Wago as the junction instead of the junction in the rose. This set up has worked perfectly for the last year and has never hummed.

2. Later I came along to add in a second LED batten and in doing so, I got rid of the Wago and went back to using the earth junction connectors in the ceiling rose; thinking that this is a more appropriate way of doing it!

3. I ended up not using the second batten and I removed it, and its wiring completely. Thing is, I did not put the Wago back in. Instead I left the earths connected through the ceiling rose earth junction because that's the way it should be right? .. but now the fecker hums loudly when its turned on!

Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

Could be bad earth or the carrier frequency of the switched mode led driver.
    Hard to say.
    Tighten all terminals, verify earth is good.

As long as the earth is uninterrupted it doesn't matter how you do it. I may be wrong I'm just talking in terms of electrons not building regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Thanks I'll re-check all the connections in the ceiling rose.

A further facepalm is that I replaced some spotlights with another LED batten today in a utility room extension (crappy lean-to on the back of the house) only to find a) no earth cable b) no colour coded wiring in place :(

You don't require one if it's double insulated, LV AC end loads don't often care about "polarity".

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Unfortunately this one hums /buzzes even worse than the other one, so I was hoping that better earthing might be the solution. The battens in both cases are Greenlamp ones (http://www.greenlamp.ie/product-category/led-battens-corrosion/)

Advertisement