Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermostats: Netnamo, Nest

Options
  • 12-09-2018 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi. Could you advise if having a thermostat will efficiently save energy and so my bills would be actually cheaper? Could I still on/off hot water tank manually?

I am looking for your opinions, if you have it already, do you feel the difference? Is it really warmer and cheaper?

I'm trying to understand how they work, but I am confused.. I live in two-level apartment, high ceilings, it is a big apartment and it's very hard to heat it and I am scared that I would have to pay even more for electricity and gas while I am always freezing.

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

i have one, you can turn it on and off manually, its the only way i have been using it so far, not 100% sure how to set timer, as for saving energy cant see how it does if you have the heating on as you usually do, it will inform you by email every month how long its been on and off making you more aware how much you use and how you compare to the average household, but if its cold its cold you have to turn it on, but it is a handy device being able to turn your heating on on your way home or sitting on the sofa, not having to get up to turn it on, you can turn it on/off by phone,pc,etc.. or the handheld unit itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I think it's more a convenience thing rather than a savings thing, although they are marketed as being able to save you money.

Potentially if you are leaving work late some day you could tell it not to come on, thereby not heating an empty house and saving you a few quid. You can set most of them up so they learn your schedule. Similarly if you were home early for some reason you could switch it on from the phone and have the house nice and warm when you arrive.

Big thing for me recently was being able to kick on the heating from abroad as I was returning home and wanted a nice warm house with a tank of hot water waiting for me after a week away.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭roxana

Thanks for your opinions :) I get that it is very handy and pretty cool thing to have, but when asked several people and no one really can tell if it can save energy (and money). I'm glad I could turn it off, because when it's worm I don't need to heat the radiators, only water for 20min and I'm set for whole day, but I didn't think about heating up the water for a nice bath ready for me before I'm even home! That will be awesome hah :D I just sign up with energia with Netnamo installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

I have the Hive system installed, its definitely conveniant for me as I dont work 9-5 and could be late getting home so I can put it on when I'm 20 mins from home. The cost saving is made by not heating an empty house with the dial or digital timers which was the case in my other house.

Advertisement