Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

building a portable phonebook

Options
  • 12-09-2018 1:05pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Here in work, I work in a large residential centre for persons with an ID, we experienced a communications breakdown (no Led Zeppelin required).
    As a result we had to default to our back up phones, a Samsung GT-S6511.
    We have a list of hand written emergency numbers, around 30 of them, but none on the handsets themselves.

I figured, it'd be easier to create a list of names and numbers and save it from Excel in a .csv format.
    Then I could DM the message to everyone and populate the network of phones with the emergency number list.

Am I heading in the right direction with this?
    Is there an appropriate format or a program or app that might help?

Any guidance appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,853 ✭✭✭Spocker

Is the model number right? I can't find a 6511 but I did find a 5611

If it's an android device, you might consider dedicated Google Account, load all the names into the contacts, and then sign-in on all the devices, with that account.

If it's not an android device, you'd be looking at an unsupported Operating System, and it could be quite hard to either write or find the app you need, if it even exists, or an app that will work with CSV files

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

+1 on the above.

Create Organization.Mobiles@gmail.com
    Go to contacts.google.com
    Enter/upload contacts
    Sign in all the phones

If they're able to connect to the internet every now and then they'll all sync.

Advertisement