Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

practice V course differences

Options
  • 12-09-2018 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭

Some stuff works for practice but not on the course. I've a few examples for me below. Not looking for reasons why this is or help with my game, just thought it might be interesting to similar experiences from others.

Harder on the course:
    - I've two driver shafts. One I hit incredibly on the range, the other only okay on the range. I've tried the one I hit great on the range on the course for three rounds now at different times and each has been the worst driving rounds of my recent life.

- I struggle with 8-10 foot putts on the course when I can make these all day at home indoors. (Interestingly I got a new putting green to try out recently. When I use this indoors result are decent, outdoors not so good. This could be an indoors/outdoors thing)

Also, are there any examples of things the other way around, that is elements of the game that are easier on the course than during practice. I have one possible example:

Easier on the course:
    - On the range, I seem to be more likely to sh**k wedges than on the course which is nice. (Obviously, no hosels at all would be best though).

Any other similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I think the difference is that in practice you generally use a lot of repetition ie. you take our your driver on the range and hit 30 drives, 3 or 4 drives in and you're starting to nail it, got your technique sorted and your rythem is flowing. Similar with wedges or putting on the practice green.

On the course you'll generally never hit the same club twice in a row unless of course you're hitting a provisional. Maybe next time on the range try hitting 1 driver, then switch to a long iron, then a wedge - rinse and repeat.

Similarly practicing at home I suspect that you're hitting the same putt over and over and have it nailed. Are you moving around the distances/targets? Also on the course very few putts are straight therefore it's a lot harder.

I fall into the same trap also and leave the range thinking I've it all solved and then hit the course and shoot 90. Range is good practice but for me you cannot beat being on the course and playing proper golf.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say it's also mental. You never overthing things on the range, but regularly do it on the course (or at least i do).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Everyone shanks on the range, it's a result of not following your routine and just pulling another ball over, you end up too close.

You might be just as bad with the driver on the range of you are not being diligent with picking a specific target. It's easy hit your target of your target is "the range"...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Russman

GreeBo wrote: »
    It's easy hit your target of your target is "the range"...

This exactly ^^
    That well struck drive at the range that flies beautifully with a baby fade on the end of it, could just as easily be 50 yards offline on the course if your alignment was even just a little bit off.

Plus your body is generally more relaxed at the range as there are no consequences for hitting a bad shot and whatever natural grace and rhythm you have is allowed to take over. Maybe the shaft you hit well at the range is a little soft, but a smooth swing in practice lets you get away with it whereas on the course you might be a bit more aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Yeah, it's being more relaxed when practising. You've no problem hitting that lovely short chip off a tight lie when you're practising, but when it's massively important to save par on a hole and you need to get it close, you duff it. :)

Putting on a practice mat is the same. And there's usually no break (unless your floors are iffy ;)). When you're on the green, there could be a subtle break that now leaves you with a choice of trying to play through the break or with it and the knees start to wobble. And then there's the notion that all bad practice shots are instantly dismissed and forgotten about.

• Advertisement

I read (what I thought) was an interesting article on how Molinairi got a new coach (performance coach?) who changed up how he practiced and it apparently did him wonders.

Worth a read might and might give you a few ideas

https://golfstateofmind.com/performance-coach-dave-alred-francesco-molinari/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I read (what I thought) was an interesting article on how Molinairi got a new coach (performance coach?) who changed up how he practiced and it apparently did him wonders.

Worth a read might and might give you a few ideas

https://golfstateofmind.com/performance-coach-dave-alred-francesco-molinari/
    Dave Alred. Very well known in rugby circles for his work as a kicking coach. Worked with Jonny Wilkinson, Jonny Sexton, George Ford and Rhys Patchell amongst many others. Coached on three Lions tours.

Advertisement