Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh v Frozen Berries

Options
  • 11-09-2018 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

I juice a mix of fresh blueberries, raspberries, strawberries and blackberries daily. I would normally add the juice to sweeten a dark green vegetable smoothie. I have a decent juicer but for the money spent on fresh berries, the yield isn't very high. It feels wasteful.

I'm wondering should I eat fresh berries and use bags for frozen berries for juicing? Is there much of a nutritional difference? There certainly is a massive price difference between fresh and frozen.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

A note about imported frozen berries https://www.fsai.ie/faq/frozen_berries.html
    apart from that there is not much difference in nutrition in frozen and fresh food.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,120 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

A note about imported frozen berries https://www.fsai.ie/faq/frozen_berries.html
    apart from that there is not much difference in nutrition in frozen and fresh food.

I've been having a smoothie eveyrday for the last 2 years with Lidl/Aldi frozen berries without issue.
    Buying fresh will render it economically unviable and boiling them before use wouldn't make for a nice smoothie!

I wonder could you boil a batch and then just refreeze them...?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

What I like about frozen berries is - if you're adding fresh stuff, the frozen stuff stops the smoothie heating up too much. Our liquidiser makes things warm (you can make soup in it if you liquidise for 6 or 7 minutes).

With all fresh, I have to add ice cubes prior to smoothing anyway, so frozen berries are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

GreeBo wrote: »
    I've been having a smoothie eveyrday for the last 2 years with Lidl/Aldi frozen berries without issue.
    Buying fresh will render it economically unviable and boiling them before use wouldn't make for a nice smoothie!

Booking would damage much of the benofet of fruit altogether.

We use frozen from Aldi as it keeps the smoothie cold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's a very low chance, just what's recommended. I'm pretty sure most people don't do it and there are only a few cases per year. Are there Irish frozen ones around? Could use those either.

• Advertisement

It's a very low chance, just what's recommended. I'm pretty sure most people don't do it and there are only a few cases per year. Are there Irish frozen ones around? Could use those either.

Aldi/Lidl seem to have removed their boil notices, they deffo had signs up a year or two ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Aldi/Lidl seem to have removed their boil notices, they deffo had signs up a year or two ago.

I usually buy fresh fruit. This week I went with the frozen fruit in Aldi.

Good lord some of it is very sour.

Tilikum17 wrote: »

What are you using it for?
    I've never noticed an issue in my smoothies but there are lots of other ingredients

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Tilikum17 wrote: »

Most industrial fruit is picked under-ripe of course! This isn’t usually too much of a problem for non-frozen fruit because of commercial dictates but really, frozen stuff should be <I>just</I> ripe when it’s frozen. Quality control, how are ya?

I’d bring it to Aldi’s attention.

Advertisement