Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apples, Apples everywhere!

Options
  • 11-09-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Thanks to our fantastic hot summer, I have a bumper crop of apples in my garden.

I have only three apple trees but they're laden down with an abundance of red juicy apples. I've given some to my daughter's school, my family, neighbours and work colleagues but I still have loads.

I would appreciate advice on how best to store them and a few ideas/recipes. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

So have we! Too many, really. Also pears and masses of grapes. We're juicing a lot of apples at the moment, mainly because we have windfalls that don't look great. The ones that are still on the trees are the ones we eat.

A glass of your own apple juice first thing is wonderful. We have apple sauce with dinner twice a week.

Make an apple tart or three and freeze them.

I read how you can store them in a (edit: non-working) chest freezer, something to do with a gas they give off preserves them. The theory's good but it didn't work for us...

The old method of wrapping in newspaper and storing on a cool shelf is probably the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

Thanks for the newspaper tip - I've a few Limerick Leaders knocking about the house, I'll start wrapping the apples up tomorrow.

I've mainly been using the apples in Kale/Spinach smoothies. I also have a crop of blackberries so I might make some Apple & Blackberry jam. I must say I'm getting a great kick out watching the local kids coming into my garden to take an apple off the tree to eat on the way to/from school.

You can store them in a cool dark place on shelves without wrapping but they mustn't touch each other, which is why wrapping in newspaper's a good idea.

Smoothies, yes, love 'em. Put some beetroot in for a dramatic effect! I have a friend who can't stand smoothies. Oddball.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Apply jelly, chutneys, smoothies, tarts, even soup (like apple & celeriac). If you have a dehydrator you can make fruit snacks too. Normally I store mine lined up in rows in the attic where the air is quite dry, just line them up on the floor with none touching. Any that turn bad go to the horses or cattle so no wastage here. I don't know if you're vegan/vegetarian but one of my favourite recipes is this- https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2044/dorset-apple-traybake & uses up maybe 7 apples or so per recipe. You could try a substitute for the butter & eggs, coconut milk or yogurt perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

You know I've never even thought of making apple juice! Defo going to try that. I usually use the newspaper trick for storage and make tarts and stewed apple. Keeps us going for the whole winter... stewed apple with porridge, custard, yoghurt ...we absolutely love it!

• Advertisement

Scraggs wrote: »
    You know I've never even thought of making apple juice! Defo going to try that. I usually use the newspaper trick for storage and make tarts and stewed apple. Keeps us going for the whole winter... stewed apple with porridge, custard, yoghurt ...we absolutely love it!

I wrote about a juicing session here. It's fun and satisfying, especially if two or three of you get involved collecting, cleaning, chopping etc. with a bit of music!

Another thought: make apple juice ice cubes if you've a freezer, then add them to smoothies over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I'm juicing in preparation to making apple jam/jelly. I've a daughter that loves it and won't eat any other sort of jam. I juice as much as possible and put them into containers in the freezer. Defrost the juice as I need it. 1 pint of juice + 1lb sugar boiled to setting point - yum!

KatyMac wrote: »
    I juice as much as possible and put them into containers in the freezer. Defrost the juice as I need it.

That's a great idea.
    1 pint of juice + 1lb sugar boiled to setting point - yum!

That's the jam? That's it? Wow. I know apple is often added to regular fruit without much pectin in it, like strawberries, but wow.

That's a great idea.

That's the jam? That's it? Wow. I know apple is often added to regular fruit without much pectin in it, like strawberries, but wow.

Yep! you can certainly add it to strawberries. But if you like you can add a few cloves or cinnamon to the apple jam as well.

• Advertisement

Yep! you can certainly add it to strawberries. But if you like you can add a few cloves or cinnamon to the apple jam as well.

Katy, when you make your apple jam, do you peel the apples? I'm averse to peeling any veg. unnecessarily.

Katy, when you make your apple jam, do you peel the apples? I'm averse to peeling any veg. unnecessarily.

I cut up the apples unpeeled, put them in a saucepan with a small amount of water. Cook them until the are soft(ish) takes about 10 mins. Then I strain the juice through mesh or clean white cloth anything like that. I usually leave it to drain overnight. Then measure juice and add 1lb sugar per pint of juice. If you are freezing, do it in pint/half litre amounts and you can then make fresh jam whenever you want it. The apple juice will last easily for a year in its frozen state.

Don't add too much water just enough to stop them sticking and burning bottom of pan! You are sorta steaming the fruit! I assume if you have a proper juicer (which I don't!) you don't need to do this bit!

Thanks Katy. Have you ever made the jam without straining it first? Leaving all the gunk in there?

No David, I haven't. You would have pips and cores as well as the peel and I'm not too sure how nice that would be to eat. I have made a jam with peeled, cut up apples and added sugar at same rate (1lb fruit/1lb sugar). Stew apples and sugar similar to making jam out of any other fruit and it came out fairly good. My family like the clearer jelly stuff better so that's what I make!

No David, I haven't. You would have pips and cores as well as the peel and I'm not too sure how nice that would be to eat. I have made a jam with peeled, cut up apples and added sugar at same rate (1lb fruit/1lb sugar). Stew apples and sugar similar to making jam out of any other fruit and it came out fairly good. My family like the clearer jelly stuff better so that's what I make!

I wasn't thinking about the pips and cores! Only the pulp and rind.

I'm going to wash, core, chop small and dip in lemon juice to help prevent browning, then make the jam with that, rather than strain it.

We don't really 'do' sugar in this house (haven't bought any for a long time) but I'll make an exception for this - if it turns out well, it'll make nice gifts - but adding cinnamon, which contains polyphenols, helps metabolise the sugar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Made gorgeous chutney for Christmas with apples brought in to work

I cut up the apples unpeeled, put them in a saucepan with a small amount of water. Cook them until the are soft(ish) takes about 10 mins. Then I strain the juice through mesh or clean white cloth anything like that. I usually leave it to drain overnight. Then measure juice and add 1lb sugar per pint of juice. If you are freezing, do it in pint/half litre amounts and you can then make fresh jam whenever you want it. The apple juice will last easily for a year in its frozen state.

Don't add too much water just enough to stop them sticking and burning bottom of pan! You are sorta steaming the fruit! I assume if you have a proper juicer (which I don't!) you don't need to do this bit!

I made some jam yesterday - it turned out perfectly. It doesn't look great but it's sharp and tasty and nicely spreadable - or you can eat it with a spoon...

I cored and chopped the apples, then dunked the piece in lemon juice, which kept the stuff unbrowned until I added the cinnamon.

Here's a few pics of the equipment etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭TheFortField

As usual, you guys/gals come up with lots of helpful suggestions - thank you :)

Advertisement