Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablet 'Command Centre' Project

Options
  • 11-09-2018 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen people mention in a few different threads and around the internet that they have a wall mounted tablet acting as a sort of command centre for Home Automation/IOT stuff.

I'm interesting in having a go at setting up something along these lines as a bit of a project with the evenings closing in.

Anyone have any tips or ideas about the best hardware/software to use?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

keane2097 wrote: »
    I've seen people mention in a few different threads and around the internet that they have a wall mounted tablet acting as a sort of command centre for Home Automation/IOT stuff.

I'm interesting in having a go at setting up something along these lines as a bit of a project with the evenings closing in.

Anyone have any tips or ideas about the best hardware/software to use?

I use my phone

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Jack Moore wrote: »
    I use my phone

Big news if true.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I haven't done this yet, but have done some preliminary research that might help you.

A common way people do this, is using software called ActionTiles, which works inconjunction with a SmartThings hub.

As ActionTiles is a web app, it will work with pretty much any iPad or android tablet. Amazon Fire Tablets seem to be a decent cheap option.

What I'm not sure about yet is how you tie it in with a light switch, in terms of the light switch actually powering the tablet and wall mounting it. I'd be interested in hearing how others have gone about this.

Of course if you are willing to get an electrician in and digs holes in your wall, then it is easily doable. The question is if it is doable on the cheap as a DIY project yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I had been looking at this tablet here which has good reviews and decent spec at a low price:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073VX18JT/?coliid=I2LFLBZ0MINLHN&colid=11T9S812IHA44&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Would a Pi and Home Assistant set-up be a potential way of going about this? I don't have any Smartthings products at the moment and not too sweet on the idea of adding yet another hub.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

keane2097 wrote: »
    Would a Pi and Home Assistant set-up be a potential way of going about this? I don't have any Smartthings products at the moment and not too sweet on the idea of adding yet another hub.

I'd assume so, yes, but I haven't looked into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Ionised

I've been using the previously mentioned Action tiles and Smartthings setup for the past few months on an old Nexus 10 tablet. Tablet is mounted on a shelf unit that splits my kitchen with power run through from the other side.

Works very well I have found with Action tiles being very customisable.

The tablets runs Fully Browser which gives full screen, start on boot and uses the camera as a motion sensor to only turn on the screen when needed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I use Home Assistant Lovelace UI. It's very flexible. Have a tablet mounted in my kitchen. Will post pics later.

Advertisement