Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance membership

Options
  • 10-09-2018 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi - took a break from gold for a few years and now thinking of rejoining a club for occasional golf. Would like a GUI membership so I can play open competitions. Some clubs are offering distance membership for approx 150 euro and what I need to know if if I took out distance membership would I get a GUI card so I can play in open competitions. Also do you have to be as member of another club to avail of distance membership? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I've country membership which I'm assuming is the same as distance. As I'm getting in on a discounted rate (approx 40% of full membership fee), I have to hold my full GUI in another club.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

I would reckon hundreds of the more casual golfers have distance membership and use it to their and the clubs benefit. I live in Dublin and have a distance membership and have a GUI card. I`m not a member anywhere else. I realise I can`t enter the Captains Prize and the Presidents Prize but so be it. This year I will probably end up playing 20 odd rounds of golf between my own club, invitations and society`s so happy days, lets all enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

jakefouro wrote: »
    Hi - took a break from gold for a few years and now thinking of rejoining a club for occasional golf. Would like a GUI membership so I can play open competitions. Some clubs are offering distance membership for approx 150 euro and what I need to know if if I took out distance membership would I get a GUI card so I can play in open competitions. Also do you have to be as member of another club to avail of distance membership? Thanks in advance.

Send me a pm and I'll give you details of our 150 euro pay and play option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,874 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

no you don't have to be a member in another club
    you will have to complete 3 qualifying cards each year to maintain your handicap.

technically you must maintain your handicap in the club where you play most of your golf, so really if you are living in Dublin and a local club has an open you plan to play in every Tuesday but you only play 3 times a year in your home club..... well this is not really allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

Seve OB wrote: »
    no you don't have to be a member in another club
    you will have to complete 3 qualifying cards each year to maintain your handicap.

technically you must maintain your handicap in the club where you play most of your golf, so really if you are living in Dublin and a local club has an open you plan to play in every Tuesday but you only play 3 times a year in your home club..... well this is not really allowed

The provision that you must maintain your handicap in the club you play most of your golf refers only to those who are members of more than one club at the same time. Not the usual single club member.

There is no sanction on the number or location of where anyone plays as long as the required qualifying rounds have been played at their home club

• Advertisement
Advertisement