Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I ungrateful if I'm upset I got a H2 in Maths? (HL)

Options
  • 10-09-2018 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

We had a maths test last week and I got it back today and got 87%. A H2. I'm in 5th year and this is upsetting. It was just on the first chapter and we haven't even gotten to the real hard honors maths stuff and I already can't get a H1. What's going to happen to me once we reach calculus or geometry? How can I improve my maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

By that logic if you miss one goal you'll never score another in your entire life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Smircle

naxmax9 wrote: »
    We had a maths test last week and I got it back today and got 87%. A H2. I'm in 5th year and this is upsetting. It was just on the first chapter and we haven't even gotten to the real hard honors maths stuff and I already can't get a H1. What's going to happen to me once we reach calculus or geometry? How can I improve my maths?

I understand where you're coming from - I used to stress about test results all the time, I was never happy with anything under 90% and even then, sometimes anything less than 100% wasn't good enough (that's all changed now that I'm in college, the 50% pass mark is a life-saver xD).
    You've just started the course, it's going to take a while to get used to it. The first maths test I did in 5th year, my teacher purposely made it as difficult as he could so we could "only improve" in the next one - I got a C or something in that test and was convinced I was going to be made drop to Ordinary Level, but I managed to pull off a H2 in the real thing 2 years later.
    One test is by no means a reflection of your abilities; stick with it, practice exam questions and just do your best. If you find you're struggling, ask your teacher for some help or perhaps look into grinds? You've only just started and you're going to be stronger in some areas more so than others, so just keep at it and try to not put so much pressure on yourself, a H2 is an excellent start!
    Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Don’t be upset - this is a great learning experience. Find out which questions you got wrong and make sure you understand how to do them for next time. If you got 100% at this stage there would be no point going to school!

Advertisement