Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donnybrook the Movie!

Options
  • 10-09-2018 4:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭

Disappointingly this does not feature pints of Heino in Kiely's, RTE employees, or extortionate grocery shops.
    Based on the book by Frank Bill, the barebones plot sees Jamie Bell square up as “Jarhead” Earl, a veteran and father of two who somehow decides that the only way to save his family, including his cancer-stricken, opioid-addicted wife, is to rob a local gun shop (without any form of disguise) to pay for his entry fee to a life-or-death bare-knuckle fighting competition called the Donnybrook.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/sep/07/donnybrook-review-jamie-bell-fights-against-poverty-in-shallow-drama

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

For the confused, there used to be an annual fair in Donnybrook (literally for centuries) which was notorious for its punchups (and indeed riots), and the word trickled into the American idiom to mean a brawl.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,967 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

mikhail wrote: »
    For the confused, there used to be an annual fair in Donnybrook (literally for centuries) which was notorious for its punchups (and indeed riots), and the word trickled into the American idiom to mean a brawl.

Never heard of that before. :)

I saw mention of the movie just last night when scrolling a website and assumed it to be an Irish film.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah, I remember looking that up online as I wondered if it actually did come from Donnybrook itself. Can you imagine the riots today?

"OMG. They are out of Kale crisps!!! Wot do yew think this is? The Northsoide? Pop your collars gentlemen, It's on!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I tried to watch this today and lasted about 40 minutes. It's slow, boring, and bleak.

One review stated, "The film takes 89 of its 101 minutes to get to the event in the title, and while we wait impatiently, writer/director Tim Sutton stages all manner of graphic violence and ugliness with little panache or suspense."

Yeah...I'm good with not finishing it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Donnybrook Fair was an annual event held in Donnybrook-then a suburb of Dublin, Ireland-from the 13th to the 19th centuries. The fair was legendary for the vast quantities of liquor consumed there, for the number of hasty marriages performed during the week following it, and, most of all, for the frequent brawls that erupted throughout it. Eventually, the fair's reputation for tumult was its undoing. From the 1790s on there were campaigns against the drunken brawl the fair had become. The event was abolished in 1855, but not before its name had become a generic term for a free-for-all.
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/donnybrook

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

Watched this movie tonight, horrific, left me feeling depressed. Fairly raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

mikhail wrote: »

Well, now there's just the DONNYBROOK FAIR, an over priced shop for arseholes.

donnybrook_fair_exterior_with_customers.jpg?itok=oKZsuXUo

Advertisement