Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technicolor TC7200 U - UPC modem|router

Options
  • 10-09-2018 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I got an USB external storage and I want to attach to the network (to work more or less like a NAS).

I know that is something possible and also I notice that on my device "Technicolor TC7200 U" I have an USB port.

In the manual - click here, it does say that that USB can be for storage and other purposes (like sharing a printer over the network, etc). At page 61 how "USB – USB Web Page Group" section it is shown how this USB can be configured.

My problem is that there is no USB section on my UPC branded software running on the modem.

Capture.png

I had a look in the manual and it seems that the version of the software that my router is running is different from the one presented in the manual. I'm thinking that my be the reason.
    This is software version metioned in the manual (Version 0.43):
    Capture2.png
    This is the version of the software in my device (version: STD6.02.41):
    Capture3.png

So someone thought that will be a good idea to create an firmware update and remove the USB access. :(

How can I get back the access to that USB port? Will it be possible to downgrade the software? Does anyone have some other options in mind?

I've asked Virgin Media and they don't have a clue about that USB. They said that USB is only for their technicians not for the home users. So "home users you should stay away from that USB".

So any suggestions? How will I will be able to use my USB storage in my network, to share files?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Natakranta

boy2litle wrote: »

So someone thought that will be a good idea to create an firmware update and remove the USB access. :(

How can I get back the access to that USB port? Will it be possible to downgrade the software? Does anyone have some other options in mind?

I've asked Virgin Media and they don't have a clue about that USB. They said that USB is only for their technicians not for the home users. So "home users you should stay away from that USB".

So any suggestions? How will I will be able to use my USB storage in my network, to share files?

Yes, they're Cuntcha Bunts who disabled USB port on TC7200. My guess is they wanted to sell it as premium service in enterprise package. I personally bridged my TC7200 and bought Netgear Nighthawk R7000 router to manage my network. In opposition to TC not only it has working USB 3 I plugged an external storage to, but as well it serves 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WiFi simultaneously. TC can only do 2.4 or 5 one at a time, which was a problem to me as one of home devices didn't have 5Ghz and relies on 24Ghz WiFi only.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Give the feature, people will call to ask why its not working etc. This costs them. Disable it and few will ever know it was there. Simpler that way from an ISP perspective.

You can't downgrade it. Go grab a raspberry Pi.
    https://www.techradar.com/how-to/computing/how-to-build-your-own-raspberry-pi-nas-1315968

Advertisement