Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical condition disclosure.

Options
  • 10-09-2018 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭

An elder of our tribe (over 60 !) was discovered by his GP to have "borderline hypertension" - a few readings of daytime systolic of about 135. He was placed on a low dose medication. A very recent 24 hour test verifies that his BP is now perfectly normal whilst on that medication. The medication has no effect on his ability to drive.

He has just got the renewal notice for his motor insurance. I have told him that he should declare this to his motor insurers even though he is perfectly safe to drive. I suggested that he send the insurers a copy of the hospital test results printout which verifies that his BP is perfectly normal.

Is there anything else that he needs to do from an insurance perspective ?
    Is any of this likely to cause him any problems with his insurance ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Read the Ts&Cs that came with the renewal quote. It may not be necessary to declare it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I doubt high blood pressure is a condition the insurer is interested in, but as said check the T&Cs

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

FYI hypertension was of interest to the motor insurance underwriters.

They requested a letter from his GP confirming that he was medically fit to drive. He got that with no problem and his policy was renewed without any terms or conditions imposed.

As his hypertension is now under perfect control he is probably a safer insurance risk than those driving with undetected high blood pressure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Irrespective of terms and conditions I would have thought that high blood pressure would constitute a material fact that would fall inside the scope of the general duty of disclosure.

Remember that the duty of disclosure revives at renewal and that it is the underwriter who decides if the fact is material. If in doubt declare it.

IMHO the policyholder in this case was right to declare as by doing so he puts the issue beyond doubt and complies with the spirit of uberrima fides to which insurance contracts are subject.

Advertisement