Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmuckridge/Morriscastle strand

Options
  • 10-09-2018 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hey guys, I'm heading south at the weekend with my girlfriend's family for a few days. Recently introduced her to a bit of fishing (although i'm a newbie myself) and countless mackerel/pollack and a trout or two and she's mad for us to bring her little sister for a spot of fishing in Kilmuckridge/Morriscastle strand while we're there. I'll more than likely be travelling via public transport so will only be bringing a 10ft rod, hopefully that doesnt burden me too much.
    I'm used to fishing the shores in south Donegal and not sure how different I should expect Wexford to be (although i can only dream of a bass, we rarely see them in Donegal). Basically i want to give them a nice little adventure and a day to remember, so I want to maximize my possibility of catching atleast something with them. Whats plentiful at the moment? What would you guys recommend this time of the year re: bait, methods, tides etc. Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

We fished morriscastle last weekend. Plenty of good smoothies and small tope at distance. 10ft rod would probably limit you to spinning for bass and unless there's clarity in the water it would be a waste of time I'm afraid. I guess you could fish light with a 3oz lead close in for bass using rag or crab might be you're best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigSprogs

cd07 wrote: »
    We fished morriscastle last weekend. Plenty of good smoothies and small tope at distance. 10ft rod would probably limit you to spinning for bass and unless there's clarity in the water it would be a waste of time I'm afraid. I guess you could fish light with a 3oz lead close in for bass using rag or crab might be you're best option.

Just on a single paternoster? was thinking something like that might be my only option. I'm fine fishing for bass it's definitely on my bucket list to land a nice one 😂 am I better to hit the beach at dusk even if this means a low/retreating tide, or go for a high tide as I believe it'll be high between 3-4pm? Thanks so much for your help!

Yea just a paternoster rig will be fine. Bass will feed most stages of the tide so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Yea just a paternoster rig will be fine. Bass will feed most stages of the tide so I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Thanks so much you've been really helpful! Ill try that and if I hit a blank I'll try a bit of spinning - not familiar with the strand so not sure if there's any nice spots to spin for bass so I'll give it a go.

I figure if I can win the missus over with a bit of fishing and get her hooked, she'll never be able to complain about the time I spend fishing back home. Which is perfect timing seeing as pier fishing back home is on the up and up 😂 any more advice is hugely appreciated!

No problem. You can pretty much spin anywhere along the beach but the water has to be clear enough. Bait fishing would probably be better. You really don't have to cast far for bass so don't worry about distance!!

• Advertisement

No problem. You can pretty much spin anywhere along the beach but the water has to be clear enough. Bait fishing would probably be better. You really don't have to cast far for bass so don't worry about distance!!

Thank you so much! I'll try a few spots along the beach and let you know how I get on. Life saver

No worries mate let us know how you get on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I wouldnt worry about distance at all and on oulart (head for windmills - turn right after passing sean og's on your right about 1-2 miles on bend) you will catch bass in 6 inches of water - it fishes down! so if your out for a while do the last 2 hrs of rising and next 3 falling. I find 3 hook flappers to be the best for bass, they are more sight than scent hunters and are attracted to free rolling or floating baits. on your rigs use very plain, clear mono, no flashy beads or similar - long ish snoods but with a 10ft rod you will be limited slightly.

As usual dawn or dusk, but with the young one you may not be let keep her out late.

Lastly it'l be busy at dusk down there this month, if you do bring the little one and its dark i have seen 30 anglers on the beach, not all experienced and leads do fly, so mind her!

ardinn wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry about distance at all and on oulart (head for windmills - turn right after passing sean og's on your right about 1-2 miles on bend) you will catch bass in 6 inches of water - it fishes down! so if your out for a while do the last 2 hrs of rising and next 3 falling. I find 3 hook flappers to be the best for bass, they are more sight than scent hunters and are attracted to free rolling or floating baits. on your rigs use very plain, clear mono, no flashy beads or similar - long ish snoods but with a 10ft rod you will be limited slightly.

As usual dawn or dusk, but with the young one you may not be let keep her out late.

Lastly it'l be busy at dusk down there this month, if you do bring the little one and its dark i have seen 30 anglers on the beach, not all experienced and leads do fly, so mind her!

I've only been to kilmuckridge once, so only been on the beach once and we went on it from the entrance beside lawlors. If I go onto the beach from the same entrance, do I turn right or left to find oulart and how far from there is it?? Thanks so much

BigSprogs wrote: »
    I've only been to kilmuckridge once, so only been on the beach once and we went on it from the entrance beside lawlors. If I go onto the beach from the same entrance, do I turn right or left to find oulart and how far from there is it?? Thanks so much

Dunno lawlors - maybe its the same place. If your coming from sean og's/kilmuckridge there is a right turn on a bend, the windmills will be more or less at 1 o'clock to you.

Actually send me your number on a pm i'll drop you a pin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Thompst1111

So bigsprogs how you get on over the weekend heading there myself this weekend. And let me know when you entered the v beach at the windmills did you turn right or left I was there a couple of weeks ago but was south of the river not bad smoothies too but no bass. Also is it possible to drive on to the beach there

So bigsprogs how you get on over the weekend heading there myself this weekend. And let me know when you entered the v beach at the windmills did you turn right or left I was there a couple of weeks ago but was south of the river not bad smoothies too but no bass. Also is it possible to drive on to the beach there

There is a sand road to the beach you would fit a small jeep down, but maybe not something very wide, there is quite a narrow section. not the worst gear haul though if you cant.

I sent him a pin if you want one too - pm your number

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Thompst1111

ardinn wrote: »
    There is a sand road to the beach you would fit a small jeep down, but maybe not something very wide, there is quite a narrow section. not the worst gear haul though if you cant.

I sent him a pin if you want one too - pm your number

I PM you with my number. Thanks man

Advertisement