Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lag when using Internet - can you look at these tracert figures please

Options
  • 09-09-2018 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭

I have done a speed test and getting 11mbps down and 1.89up at 40ms ping on fixed wireless broadband but i feel some lag somewhere. Could someone look at these tracert figures and see if there is anything that sticks out please:

460796.jpg

460797.jpg

460798.jpg

460799.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I have done a speed test and getting 11mbps down and 1.89up at 40ms ping on fixed wireless broadband but i feel some lag somewhere. Could someone look at these tracert figures and see if there is anything that sticks out please:

It's hard to tell anything from them tbh.

Try

ping -n 600 heanet.ie

It will run for 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

TraceRT's look alright. Timeouts are just hops not responding to IMCP's.

Where are you feeling the lag? Download the speedtest PC application and check your jitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

It's hard to tell anything from them tbh.

Try

ping -n 600 heanet.ie

It will run for 10 mins.

do i put ping -n 600 heanet.ie in the tracert command com window? - there doesnt seem to be an option/switch for -n in tracert

do i put ping -n 600 heanet.ie in the tracert command com window? - there doesnt seem to be an option/switch for -n in tracert

Open a cmd window. Instead of typing tracert xxxxx type the command I gave you.

thanks - doing that now ....

• Advertisement

m99T wrote: »
    TraceRT's look alright. Timeouts are just hops not responding to IMCP's.

Where are you feeling the lag? Download the speedtest PC application and check your jitter.

feeling the lag in playing back some online video's and pages on facebook taking ages to load

have downloaded it now for windows - doesn't seem to give figures for jitter and packet loss ...

460803.jpg

I normally use ookla speed test.net to do all my speed tests but I come across this google one here

https://www.google.ie/search?q=speed+test&oq=speed+test&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j0l4.6062j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

to try and there is a big difference in result I wonder why? -

460804.jpg

thanks - here is result i got:

460805.jpg

thanks - here is result i got:

460805.jpg

Packet loss is not good. Were you running all those speed tests while that ping was running? Ideally you would do nothing on the connection while the ping test is taking place.

You could also try this quality monitor to give you a better idea what is happening over a longer period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

Packet loss is not good. Were you running all those speed tests while that ping was running? Ideally you would do nothing on the connection while the ping test is taking place.

You could also try this quality monitor to give you a better idea what is happening over a longer period.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband/monitoring/quality

thank you - i will give that a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I normally use ookla speed test.net to do all my speed tests but I come across this google one here

https://www.google.ie/search?q=speed+test&oq=speed+test&aqs=chrome.0.69i59j69i60j0l4.6062j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

460804.jpg

The results from that test are way off the real mark when I run it.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

The results from that test are way off the real mark when I run it.

same here - i wonder why such a difference? ..

I have just run the ping -n 600 heanet.ie command just now with nothing else running / uploading /downloading and here is the result:

460841.jpg

is the 15 lost packets any issue / concern?

I have just run the ping -n 600 heanet.ie command just now with nothing else running / uploading /downloading and here is the result:

460841.jpg

is the 15 lost packets any issue / concern?

I assume you're testing while cabled to the router by Ethernet. If so you really shouldn't have any packet loss. I believe you're on a wireless service (Fastcom) so I'd assume your loss is happening somewhere in their network. Whether you want to spend time on trying to get them to fix it, if that is even reasonably possible, when you'll be moving to a vastly better service in the near future, is up to you. I probably would not bother at this stage if it were me.

I assume you're testing while cabled to the router by Ethernet. If so you really shouldn't have any packet loss. I believe you're on a wireless service (Fastcom) so I'd assume your loss is happening somewhere in their network. Whether you want to spend time on trying to get them to fix it, if that is even reasonably possible, when you'll be moving to a vastly better service in the near future, is up to you. I probably would not bother at this stage if it were me.

might run it by them still - after all I dont really know for sure when this FTTH will finally materialise - way things are going it looks like its just come to a halt again in our area.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

same here - i wonder why such a difference? ..

Because the speedtest server also needs the bandwidth to provide you with the speedtest. If the speedtest server doesn't have the capacity, then the results will be crap.

fast.com (Netflix) has similar issues at the moment. Their speedtest results are all over the shop. So it looks like they don't have enough capacity to their servers.

To get a reliable result, Ookla speedtest is always a good plan. But you have to be picky about what servers you are using.

First of all, if your provider hosts a speedtest.net server, use that one. Then try another one or two, that are at least in the same country as yourself.

The faster your connection is, the more important it gets to be picky about what speedtest server you use. Let's say you have a 1000 Mbit/s FTTH connection: it would be absolutely useless to test against a speedtest server, that only has a 1 Gbit/s interface itself. The second more than one person do a speedtest at the same time (which is more than likely), you wouldn't get a decent result.

Ookla Speedtest.net servers in Ireland with confirmed at least 10 Gbit/s upstream are: Airwire (Galway), Blacknight (Carlow) and Northwest Broadband (Sligo)

And it's always a good plan to test to more than one server and not go with whatever is suggested by Speedtest.net

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/centos/7.5.1804/os/x86_64/images/boot.iso

Download that, its 500MB and should pull at 1.3MB/s on your 11Mb. That confirms its not just speed tests being shaped to perform well.

After that the your ISP needs better connectivity to other service providers most probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    After that the your ISP needs better connectivity to other service providers most probably.

His ISP is on INEX. In Ireland, it doesn't get much better than that. I'd say it's more a problem of the distribution network and/or contention.

/M

Advertisement