Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cutting wavin pipe in hard to access area

Options
  • 09-09-2018 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

hi,
    i need to cut a wavin pipe that is in the ground, id like to avoid digging a hole big enough to use a hacksaw, is there any other tool i could use to cut it ?

thanks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Multitool should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,428 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Angle grinder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Multi tool it's the only tool for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 27,095 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

What do you need to do with the pipe afterwards?

A multitool is likely to make sh1te of the pipe and not leave you with a pipe you can reuse.
    Its also going to be very had to cut the bottom of the pipe.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

How would a multitool make shiite of a pipe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,726 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Use an angle grinder a multi tool will make ****e of the pipe. Because it's not designed for that type of brittle plastic . Angle grinder will make a very clean cut

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

Wrap a bit of wire around the pipe and use it like a saw. It will give the best cut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Jimmy. wrote: »
    How would a multitool make shiite of a pipe?

Because the blade is so much smaller your cut will be all over the place. It wont be possible to keep a square cut, in any direction so the pipe will be useless afterwards.
    An angle grinder will at least give you a square edge, even if its not 100% straight - no chance with a multitool.

But it all depends on what the OP needs to do with the pipe afterwards, Im assuming they are going to fit a junction to it so need the pipe to be in a usable state.
    TheBody wrote:
    Get a pvc pipe cutter for about €15.
    That wont do much on a waste pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

GreeBo wrote: »
    Because the blade is so much smaller your cut will be all over the place. It wont be possible to keep a square cut, in any direction so the pipe will be useless afterwards.
    An angle grinder will at least give you a square edge, even if its not 100% straight - no chance with a multitool.

But it all depends on what the OP needs to do with the pipe afterwards, Im assuming they are going to fit a junction to it so need the pipe to be in a usable state.

That wont do much on a waste pipe.

True, but the op didn't say a waste pipe. Wavin is just a brand so I guess until the op clarifies the type and diameter of pipe, we are a little in the dark.

• Advertisement

TheBody wrote: »
    True, but the op didn't say a waste pipe. Wavin is just a brand so I guess until the op clarifies the type and diameter of pipe, we are a little in the dark.

"id like to avoid digging a hole big enough to use a hacksaw"
    I'm taking that to mean a waste pipe buried in the ground but stand to be corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭thebackbar

Wrap a bit of wire around the pipe and use it like a saw. It will give the best cut
    this sounds like it might work, its a buried waste pipe

Advertisement