Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus to Oranmore

• 09-09-2018 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭

I have a few queries about transport from Galway city to Oranmore.

The 1.89 Leap fare to Oranmore applies only on the 404? Not the regular BE services?

Is outside the Oran Town Centre the only bus stop in Oranmore?

I read somewhere that the 404 service is to be doubled to half-hourly? Any truth to this?

I see that a weekly ticket is 21, monthly 74.

The taxsaver annual ticket is 777 gross, about 400 net after 49% relief.

That's about 8 pw over 50 weeks, or 33.33 net pm.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,650 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Geuze wrote: »
    I have a few queries about transport from Galway city to Oranmore.

The 1.89 Leap fare to Oranmore applies only on the 404? Not the regular BE services?

Is outside the Oran Town Centre the only bus stop in Oranmore?

I read somewhere that the 404 service is to be doubled to half-hourly? Any truth to this?

I see that a weekly ticket is 21, monthly 74.

The taxsaver annual ticket is 777 gross, about 400 net after 49% relief.

That's about 8 pw over 50 weeks, or 33.33 net pm.

The 1.89 Leap fare is supposed to apply on all city services for journeys over 7.5km. But in practise BE have only applied it on the Oranmore leg of the 404. Ours not to reason why!

There have been two bus stops used by the: outside OranTown Centre and opposite the astro-turf pitches. Someone on here said that a third one is being built, somewhere near Lidl. I'm not sure of the status of it as yet.

The frequency is doubling to every 30 minutes, from Sunday 16th. BE's announcement is here. My more impartial summary is here. This is a big win for public transport in Oranmore - and there's potential for it to increase again, IMHO. Also, Sunday and public holiday buses are starting earlier on all routes.

Lastly, yes, Taxsaver tickets do give incredible value - if your employer is willing to administer them. It's really quite unfair that they aren't available to workers in small companies or with unwilling employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,029 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Just to confirm, the 74 pm / 777 pa gross price of the BE taxsaver ticket means you can travel on all city city buses, at any time, on any route, during the month?

It's a pity there isn't a taxsaver ticket that covers train to Oranmore and bus to Oranmore.

Just to confirm, the 74 pm / 777 pa gross price of the BE taxsaver ticket means you can travel on all city city buses, at any time, on any route, during the month?

It's a pity there isn't a taxsaver ticket that covers train to Oranmore and bus to Oranmore.

Not quite: only the city buses run by BÉ, not the CD ones (routes 410, 411, 412, 414).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The third stop is to be built outside Lidl in Oranmore, further down from the Astro-turf pitches - was supposed to be in place by the end of this month but not a whisper so far.

Would be great if it was an actual shelter and just just plain stop as the astro-turf location sorely lacks that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The third stop is to be built outside Lidl in Oranmore, further down from the Astro-turf pitches - was supposed to be in place by the end of this month but not a whisper so far.

Would be great if it was an actual shelter and just just plain stop as the astro-turf location sorely lacks that.

True both are exposed spots. Will need one.

• Advertisement

Am I correct in thinking that the stop in the village opposite the pitches and the planned stop at Lidl are both only on the northern/eastern side of the road, i.e. they are used by buses heading from SuperValu, through village, going to Limerick road, to swing back to city?

The NEW 404 service - still does not stop at the Oranmore Railway Station ? Right?

The NEW 404 service - still does not stop at the Oranmore Railway Station ? Right?

It was a new service in May 2016. Now its just having a timetable change. (http://news.galwaytransport.info/2016/05/410-cancelled-route-404-newcastle-clinic-oranmore-extension.html)

No it doesn't.

No one's going to get off the bus and onto the Galway train where they would need to pay a second fare to arrive in the same place.

A few might use it if they were getting the train east - but they can just take the bus to town and get the train there.

Putting the station into the route would involve looping backwards to get to/from the Galway Clinic - which is a far more useful stop than the train station will ever be.

It was a new service in May 2016. Now its just having a timetable change. (http://news.galwaytransport.info/2016/05/410-cancelled-route-404-newcastle-clinic-oranmore-extension.html)

No it doesn't.

No one's going to get off the bus and onto the Galway train where they would need to pay a second fare to arrive in the same place.

A few might use it if they were getting the train east - but they can just take the bus to town and get the train there.

Putting the station into the route would involve looping backwards to get to/from the Galway Clinic - which is a far more useful stop than the train station will ever be.

Thanks, did not think it did from reviewing the timetable.
    I think it would be useful if it did in the future. Makes a P&R out of the Railway Station and then service Roscam. Gives people more options. May change in the future once Arduan starts to be built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭zell12

New welcome changes on 401, 402, 404, 405, 407 & 409 from 16 September
    and 13 new Double Deck Buses!!!!
    http://www.buseireann.ie/news_timetable.php?id=3054&month=Sep

• Advertisement

Thanks, did not think it did from reviewing the timetable.
    I think it would be useful if it did in the future. Makes a P&R out of the Railway Station and then service Roscam. Gives people more options. May change in the future once Arduan starts to be built up.

You underestimate how popular the Galway Clinic is as a destination.

Do I? If ya can point to where I said Galway Clinic was not a popular destination?
    Am all ears.... :rolleyes:
    Anyhow just to make it super clear for ya - it would be a very very bad idea to remove Galway Clinic from a bus route.
    Why? The environment around it is extremely hostile on foot(if one was to use the #409 at Roscam) or bike. Galway Clinic is an island, in a sea of Dual Carraigeways and Multilane (Slip Roaded) Roundabouts.

I note that some of the 404 bus stops are mis-named on the timetable.

Who do I tell about this?

Newcastle Rd Uppr (Opp NUIG West Gate)

This should read "Lower Newcastle (NUIG west gate)"

Lower Newcastle (G & L Stores)

This should read "Upper Newcastle (G&L Stores)"

Snipe avenue is the division between Lower and Upper Newcastle.

Lower Newcastle (Moyola Park Entr)

Lwr Newcastle (Opp St Francis Home)

Lower Newcastle (Greenfields Entr)

These are all on Upper Newcastle.

Of course if we had multi-modal ticketing, then there would not be an extra fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

I get why the station was built there butThe fact that the oranmore station doesn't have bus connectivity to oranmore is stupid, BE should extend the route and make the station it's terminus stop.

Laviski wrote: »
    I get why the station was built there butThe fact that the oranmore station doesn't have bus connectivity to oranmore is stupid, BE should extend the route and make the station it's terminus stop.

That is not a bad idea at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

That is not a bad idea at all.

In theory Id like to see the 404 stop at the train station but with the brilliant location of the train station :rolleyes: this is in the opposite direction to the way the current bus goes i.e from the maldron past town centre stop and into the village.
    However, I'm not sure who it would serve?
    People going in and out of City from oranmore would use the bus at its current stops wouldnt they?
    Its too expensive to do train from City and bus into Oranmore and the bus does that anyway even if it does take a bit longer.
    Dont want to sound negative about what should be a joined up bit of traffic infrastructure but result of bad planning and no joined up pricing for public transport would make that stop pretty redundant I would think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭Laviski

it would service those that want to get into eyre square in 10 mins rather than the 30/50mins by bus car - thats if the traffic is decent.......
    The train station should be called Ardaun as that is the population in reality its properly going to serve in the next 10 years, those in Oranmore still have a fair trek to get to the station, having a bus for those that don't have a car would at least give them the option. And yes it would be more expensive but time is money friend :)

But BE/IR need to have more joined up thinking in regards to price plans available with use of the leap card etc. If the price is right people will use it example being galway-limerick line. I would like to think this is the start of alternativive thinking rather than jack up the price every year for a crap service.

I’d run the route Oranmore-Station-Doughiska rd Roscam- Galway clinic- Dublin rd-city centre-Western stops and back.

Got the 9.20 train from Ballinasloe this morning, looked at Oranmore as it stopped. Car park full to capacity, not a single space available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

it would service those that want to get into eyre square in 10 mins rather than the 30/50mins by bus car - thats if the traffic is decent.......

But BE/IR need to have more joined up thinking in regards to price plans available with use of the leap card etc. If the price is right people will use it example being galway-limerick line. I would like to think this is the start of alternativive thinking rather than jack up the price every year for a crap service.

I agree regarding time if there were frequent buses and trains. But there arent currently, so while it takes 30-50mins on a bus, by the time you got the bus to the train station then most times have a wait for the next train it would be more costly and probably around the same time.

If a service (bus/train combination) is not quicker than the current system then I cant see many people using it, so a bus stopping in the train station would currently have little value. (the Galway-Limerick train is perfect example in that it takes way too long for it to be useful)

Webbs wrote: »
    In theory Id like to see the 404 stop at the train station but with the brilliant location of the train station :rolleyes: this is in the opposite direction to the way the current bus goes i.e from the maldron past town centre stop and into the village.
    However, I'm not sure who it would serve?
    People going in and out of City from oranmore would use the bus at its current stops wouldnt they?
    Its too expensive to do train from City and bus into Oranmore and the bus does that anyway even if it does take a bit longer.
    Dont want to sound negative about what should be a joined up bit of traffic infrastructure but result of bad planning and no joined up pricing for public transport would make that stop pretty redundant I would think

Its gives people multiple options - your focus seems to be all Oranmore into the City? People would use it for other functions. It is a common to see a bus services like this at similar train stations like this in Europe.

Yes, we need integrated ticketing and fares.

Same fare for any mode between two points.

Another question:

what is the story with bringing bikes (non-folding) on the train from Oranmore to city and return?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/bicycle-information
    Bicycles on Commuter Trains
    Bicycles are not permitted on Commuter before 10:00hrs and between the hours of 15:30hrs and 19:00hrs Monday to Friday. Customers can travel with bikes all day Saturday and Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭silver campaign

Another question:

what is the story with bringing bikes (non-folding) on the train from Oranmore to city and return?

Don't think its a problem. I've often brought bikes on train from Oranmore heading east to Athlone. Just make sure you book ticket online and select bike availability. You can add a bike for free. There is usually space for a couple of unfolded bikes at the end of the last carriage.

The GY-DUB trains are classified as Intercity, is that correct?

Don't think its a problem. I've often brought bikes on train from Oranmore heading east to Athlone. Just make sure you book ticket online and select bike availability. You can add a bike for free. There is usually space for a couple of unfolded bikes at the end of the last carriage.

I was thinking of a daily commuter, using an annual taxsaver ticket.

Would they have to book a bike for each day?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The GY-DUB trains are classified as Intercity, is that correct?
    Yes, intercity means "between cities".

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Yes, intercity means "between cities".

Yes, what I meant was that as they are intercity trains, does the IE rule apply?

The IE rule refers to "Commuter" trains.

Bicycles on Commuter Trains
    Bicycles are not permitted on Commuter before 10:00hrs and between the hours of 15:30hrs and 19:00hrs Monday to Friday. Customers can travel with bikes all day Saturday and Sunday.

Are the GY-Oranmore trains classified as commuter trains?

Advertisement