Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvest location

Options
  • 09-09-2018 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

I was just in town for Harvest and wanted to try some food but I think the setup this year is terrible.
    Why did they move from down by the mall? I thought that space was perfect, loads of room for the stage, seats, walking and queuing at food stalls.
    I think the street it's on this weekend is far too narrow. I hate to be **that** person but, I'd go so far as to say it didn't actually feel safe. It's very claustrophobic down there. There was no room to queue, no room to walk, no room to just stand in somewhere and listen to the band.
    Does anyone know if it's a permanent move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

It is great it isnt on the mall. The traffic chaos it created from previous years was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

alta stare wrote: »
    It is great it isnt on the mall. The traffic chaos it created from previous years was unreal.

Have you been in around City Square? It's dangerously cramped in there. Surely there's a happy medium between traffic chaos and squashing people into an unsuitable space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Anyone I've talked to has said the same and after being in there I'd agree too. Shocking setup, too cramped and narrow and of course the constant bashing of ankles by mothers with their prams. Thought the quay was the best set up but mall was good too.

alta stare wrote: »

Have you been in around City Square? It's dangerously cramped in there. Surely there's a happy medium between traffic chaos and squashing people into an unsuitable space.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

The Mall was a much better location. Way too tight and cramped at Arundel square, plus I felt it was all a bit split up this year, I liked the set up on the mall much better. Hopefully it goes back there next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ImAHappyCamper

A single row of cabins on Arundel square with the rest in cathedral square would probably have been better just like winterval. Agreed on the feckin prams as well.

erica74 wrote: »

The mall cause too much issues with traffic so im glad it isnt there. I almost forgot it was on this year as there was hardly any traffic on the bridge over the weekend.

To be fair i wasnt in at it so ill take your word its new location isnt suitable. The mall also isnt suitable so i hope they find better spot for it next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭moans3536

Yes I have to agree, the set up this year did not work . It was very crowded by arundel square . Why did they have all the hot food by arundel square and
    There was very little hot food in oconnell street . Was there anything down by the apple market ?

moans3536 wrote: »
    Yes I have to agree, the set up this year did not work . It was very crowded by arundel square . Why did they have all the hot food by arundel square and
    There was very little hot food in oconnell street . Was there anything down by the apple market ?

I wandered down and it was just people selling art, no food, which was a pity because that whole area is closed off half the time anyway so they could have spread things out down there a bit better.

With the planned works in O Connell street and surrounding areas in the near future maybe this is where events like this will now take place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,160 ✭✭✭hardybuck

First time attending the event. I was really hoping for it to be great, but it seemed to be nearly there, and in need of a few tweaks. Certainly has potential.

Firstly, they got a bit unlucky with the weather. Saturday was pretty miserable and I'm sure that impacted numbers.

I think the event was actually too spread out. I thought it lacked a focal point. The little tent in red square looked a little lost, and I think they badly needed some celebrity chefs or food critics there to raise the profile and a bit of buzz.

Food stalls in Arundel Square were a little tight, but I was a bit disappointed to see the same stalls that pitch up at lunchtime around Dublin. I was also utterly depressed to see Costa Coffee full and The Arch Coffee literally empty next door! Great coffee in The Arch...

Applemarket was dead on Saturday afternoon.

O'Connell Street was busy, and great to see some footfall down there. They had bands playing in a little yard next to Tully's Bar, would have been much better out on the street.

What would I change? Publicity was non existent outside Waterford. If they got some high profile in they'd get more headlines in national media - surprised the likes of Paul Flynn isn't involved.

I'd move the Arundel Square stalls up to Broad Street and try and have a bigger event in Red Square.

I'd also like to see more local restaurants involved. Too many local restaurants didn't seem to have gotten involved, and I'm not sure if the Hotels ran offers. If they get all the businesses cooperating they'll fly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭fargojones123

Splitting the food stalls was a bad idea, especially given the number of food stalls. Signage was bad as well, with no really indication of where anything was, unless you had a programme. Advertising/promotion was also poor, I was eating in Ardunel Square when a couple of people asked me what was going on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

hardybuck wrote: »
    Food stalls in Arundel Square were a little tight, but I was a bit disappointed to see the same stalls that pitch up at lunchtime around Dublin. I was also utterly depressed to see Costa Coffee full and The Arch Coffee literally empty next door! Great coffee in The Arch.....l

Couldn't agree more, there and Blackfriars are by far the nicest in town. Disappointed Portico are gone, loved their coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I honestly did think it was a mistake not having it on the mall. Everything is central on the mall. It's a wide street perfect for festivals, shows etc. It's a lovely walk in front of Bishops Palace, Christ Church, Waterford Crystal etc, plus it leads onto the Viking Triangle. Shows off the city much better imo.

I saw the stage on Arundel square and it was just awful cramped there. Much better in front of Waterford Crystal as done previous years. Personally I think the mall was presented better. Don't know why traffic was the issue when it was there for many years consecutively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Splitting the food stalls was a bad idea, especially given the number of food stalls. Signage was bad as well, with no really indication of where anything was, unless you had a programme. Advertising/promotion was also poor, I was eating in Ardunel Square when a couple of people asked me what was going on

Had no idea here were other food stalls around the town. What's the point having one in arundel square and another off down O'Connell Street etc.

I honestly did think it was a mistake not having it on the mall. Everything is central on the mall. It's a wide street perfect for festivals, shows etc. It's a lovely walk in front of Bishops Palace, Christ Church, Waterford Crystal etc, plus it leads onto the Viking Triangle. Shows off the city much better imo.

I saw the stage on Arundel square and it was just awful cramped there. Much better in front of Waterford Crystal as done previous years. Personally I think the mall was presented better. Don't know why traffic was the issue when it was there for many years consecutively.

Have you ever tried to cross the bridge on the weekend the festival is on? I remember being stuck in traffic on the dual carriageway one year for 40mins.

Advertisement