Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ten years plus not driving

Options
  • 09-09-2018 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭

Ok - so my husband stopped driving a good few years ago following an illness, he had an old provisional licence and never took the test. He had his own car and insurance and I was named driver at the time.
    over time i got my own car and insurance and licence and my husband is now just gotten his New learner permit and wants to drive his own car again. Happy days - i've rang around some insurance companies and the quote varies-as they do - but want i want to know if his own driving experience from years ago counts towards getting a new quote for him and should i mention it or does it not matter at all as its about ten years or more even since he had his no claims bonus or driving experience.
    thanks in advance if anyone knows

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭rovertom

Realtine wrote: »
    Ok - so my husband stopped driving a good few years ago following an illness, he had an old provisional licence and never took the test. He had his own car and insurance and I was named driver at the time.
    over time i got my own car and insurance and licence and my husband is now just gotten his New learner permit and wants to drive his own car again. Happy days - i've rang around some insurance companies and the quote varies-as they do - but want i want to know if his own driving experience from years ago counts towards getting a new quote for him and should i mention it or does it not matter at all as its about ten years or more even since he had his no claims bonus or driving experience.
    thanks in advance if anyone knows

Typically, if there is a break of 2 years or more in insurance history, you start from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Blimey, this country.

Are you sure that he never had a full licence and was insured? How long ago was this?

Two years without cover means you start from Year Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Blimey, this country. HA! one time there was an amnesty on driving tests and you could just apply for a full licence without doing a test at all!

Are you sure that he never had a full licence and was insured? How long ago was this?

yea, im talking prob late 90's to early 00's - you could have the first provisional for two years, and perhaps even the second and as for the third! well I don't remember now, but anyhow - thanks for answers at least he can start from scratch - one insurance quote asked if he ever had driving experience, and the answer is yes, he did have his own policy for a few years one time but could he prove it? well No unless the broker still had records, which I doubt as it was a long time ago. I might still have the old certs tho but it means nothing I guess.
    [/B][/B][/B][/B]

Two years without cover means you start from Year Zero.

Grand, that's ok too - at least we know.
    ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Some companies will take his previous driving experience and take off the new driver loading. Kennco & Axa would be the two I would try. He will need to provide proof of this, they will take an old policy certificate or a letter from the broker/underwriter that he was previous insured with. With that long of a timeframe they may not still have that information on file but it's worth a try as it will save him a good bit of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ASOT wrote: »
    Some companies will take his previous driving experience and take off the new driver loading.

For someone who hasn't been insured for over 10 years and who never did the test?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    For someone who hasn't been insured for over 10 years and who never did the test?

Yes, it makes a difference. I have attached a quote for reference.

ARB with no dirving history - €3480
    ARB with driving history - €2770

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ASOT wrote: »
    Yes, it makes a difference. I have attached a quote for reference.

ARB with no dirving history - €3480
    ARB with driving history - €2770

Fair enough.

coylemj wrote: »
    Fair enough.

It's stupid and shouldn't happen as it doesn't make sense but it works.

Advertisement