Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedals question (probably very dumb but...)

Options
  • 08-09-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

As the title says this is probably a very dumb question but.. :-)

So after cycling for a while now I have finally decided to go with clip in pedals and shoes etc.

The question I have is whether I need new pedals or if I only need the shoes. I have attached a couple of pics of the pedals on my bike. Are these pedals suitable? Or do I need to buy new pedals and shoes. They have the toe clips attached and I just noticed that the clips look like they can be removed.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Arsenium wrote: »
    Hi guys,

As the title says this is probably a very dumb question but.. :-)

So after cycling for a while now I have finally decided to go with clip in pedals and shoes etc.

The question I have is whether I need new pedals or if I only need the shoes. I have attached a couple of pics of the pedals on my bike. Are these pedals suitable? Or do I need to buy new pedals and shoes. They have the toe clips attached and I just noticed that the clips look like they can be removed.

Thanks guys.

You need pedals and shoes. Those are just toe pedals and not clip in pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The correct term for what you need is "clipless pedals".

They're called that because they improved on a design called "toe clips" which aren't used any more.

So you "clip in" to "clipless pedals". :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Lumen wrote: »
    ...a design called "toe clips" which aren't used any more...

Actually, you'd be surprised how many (entry-level) road bikes still come with toe-clips - they're still a great way of gaining foot-security whilst still being able to step on and off your bike in street shoes.
    My daily hack has lovely 1990's Specialized MTB ones (bigger, to take chunkier shoes), whilst I have clipless on my road bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

Thanks guys. Pedals and shoes it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Hi guys, have a quick pedal / shoe related question and didn't want to start a new thread. I've got a bike that I used a good bit last summer and for one reason or another havnt used it much this year yet but want to. I got a present of a pair of shoes (https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycling-c18/shoes-c779/pearl-izumi-womens-select-road-iv-p20256/s118756?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=pearl-izumi-women-apos-s-select-road-iv-white-aqua-38-colour-white-aq-colour-white-aqua-size-eu-38-jf8694xp38&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-Qzt0uJ02cG8qaqc8e2Q3ZjEBwkNIhM9eGykSPu_ZSrSBwAOBoiMzMaAr-7EALw_wcB) but have no idea what pedals fit them, the difference in different pedals, how to attach clips to shoes etc. Has anyone advice for me please.

• Advertisement

Nice present!

Those shoes will take either of the two major cleat bolt-patterns - SPD (two-bolt) or SPD-SL (three-bolt), and other non-Shimano designs that use these patterns, so your choice is wide.

The cleats come with the pedals, so you don't get any with the shoes.

SPD-SL is more for road bikes, and SPD is more for MTB or commuter uses.

Take a look in your LBS, and consider your usage pattern, eg's: commuting, road-leisure with lots of walking (social stops, etc) or mostly road with minimal stopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Hi guys, have a quick pedal / shoe related question and didn't want to start a new thread. I've got a bike that I used a good bit last summer and for one reason or another havnt used it much this year yet but want to. I got a present of a pair of shoes (https://www.theedge-sports.com/cycling-c18/shoes-c779/pearl-izumi-womens-select-road-iv-p20256/s118756?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=pearl-izumi-women-apos-s-select-road-iv-white-aqua-38-colour-white-aq-colour-white-aqua-size-eu-38-jf8694xp38&utm_campaign=product%2Blisting%2Bads&cid=EUR&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-Qzt0uJ02cG8qaqc8e2Q3ZjEBwkNIhM9eGykSPu_ZSrSBwAOBoiMzMaAr-7EALw_wcB) but have no idea what pedals fit them, the difference in different pedals, how to attach clips to shoes etc. Has anyone advice for me please.

It says they’re compatible with spd cleats and therefor pedals.

I put mountain bike pedals (spd) on my bike about 3/4 months ago. Best decision ever as I can walk into a shop or up a hill without hassle. Road shoes are hard to walk in.

I didn’t see enough/any advantages to putting road pedals on my bike over mountain bike ones.

I’m even happier now as since then I’ve got rid of my road bike and bought a cyclocross bike which you definitely need mountain bike pedals and shoes for with all the get off and on.

Thanks for reply. I probably should have said most of my cycling is done around my home and back to door so not really getting off the bike. However I do hope to do some of the Greenway and hopefully if I build up some stamina and fitness I can join a cycling group

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Arsenium wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Pedals and shoes it is!

One thing to remember is clipless pedals can be a pain if you still need to ride sometimes with regular footwear. (I hate walking on cleated shoes).

I use one side SPD pedals which are clip in on one side and flat on the other, so you can do both comfortably. Only disadvantage is if can make clipping in a bit trickier since you sometimes have to flip the pedal around with your foot to get the correct side.

Sounds like SPD-SL would suit best, then.

Some of the cheaper Shimano SPD-SL pedals are quite heavy, so perhaps look at some of the less-than-basic models, or take a look at the Look KEO versions - similar (but different, non-interchangeable) design, and might be lighter at the same price-points.

• Advertisement

Type 17 wrote: »

Some of the cheaper Shimano SPD-SL pedals are quite heavy, so perhaps look at some of the less-than-basic models, or take a look at the Look KEO versions - similar (but different, non-interchangeable) design, and might be lighter at the same price-points.

Why do they suit best?

For the average cyclist I don’t get why you’d limit yourself putting road pedals on a bike.

Take the greenway idea for example. If the poster wants to get off the bike at all road shoes and pedals would make more sense.

i get that a really avid rider might get a bit of weight saving and aerodynamics from a road shoe/pedal set up but for an average Joe soap I just don’t see why you’d limit yourself now and into the future.

Just my two cent.

Edit... what about these. Flat on one side and spd clipless the other. Best of both worlds.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SHIMANO-EH500-SPD-Cleats-Included-SH56-epdeh500/dp/B07CDQ4K7S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=pdeh500&qid=1596017875&sprefix=pd+eh&sr=8-1

Why do they suit best?

Because they'll be lighter on longer trips, they're no big deal to walk in when you get used to them and it sounds like the OP wants to do longer trips with minimal walking:
    ...most of my cycling is done around my home and back to door so not really getting off the bike. However I do hope to do some of the Greenway and hopefully if I build up some stamina and fitness I can join a cycling group

Because they'll be lighter on longer trips, they're no big deal to walk in when you get used to them and it sounds like the OP wants to do longer trips with minimal walking:

2 longish trips I did recently on spd pedal/shoe combo.

70k from my house to the Hill of Tara and back.
    64k from Louisburgh to Leanaun and back.

I’ve never rode on road shoes but having done those two trips recently I’m not sure that them being any lighter would have helped at all. It’s not like I or most casual riders are doing more than 25kph average on these kinds of distances so again I don’t see the advantage of using a shoe you can’t walk in for more than a few steps without looking like bambi on ice.

Maybe it’s just that I’m not a hardcore cyclist. I did a lot of research before going the spd route and I think a lot of people end up with the road version because they don’t know the pros and cons.

The spd one side and flat the other I think is a great option that would suit a lot of people myself included. My look spd’s are wide enough though to use a normal shoe for a short trip to the shops etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I’ve never rode on road shoes ....
    Therefore you can't really compare! :P

I use both SPD and Look road pedals. (SPD for commuting). For longer journeys, road pedals/cleats are better. Weight distributed over a greater area.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭lissard

In my opinion the advantage with Look/SPD-SL is more comfort than weight. I started out with SPD pedals (MTB ones), they were perfect for commuting and I used them for long spins as well. Very convenient when you need to clip in and out regularly, furthermore the shoes are easy to walk in as the cleat is recessed.

After about 5 years I acquired a second road bike and I fitted Look pedals to this one. For longer spins the Look cleat is definitely more comfortable, it is a broader platform so the pressure on the middle of your foot is more spread out. With my SPD cleats I did notice a hot spot after long cycles (100k+), the SPD-SL/Look cleats avoid this. So for me now it's SPD for commuting/MTB spins and Look for long spins on my good bike.

...Take the greenway idea for example. If the poster wants to get off the bike at all road shoes and pedals would make more sense...
    The shoes she has linked to are road shoes. They will take SPD's but they will protrude like road cleats as the shoes do not have a recessed bit. Therefore there will be no advantage. SPD's only really work properly with recessed soles.

Therefore you can't really compare! :P

I use both SPD and Look road pedals. (SPD for commuting). For longer journeys, road pedals/cleats are better. Weight distributed over a greater area.

Yeah a fair point. Just saying I’d imagine a lot of people don’t know there’s another option and end up with road shoes.

Anywho each to their own. I’d say the flat one side spd the other would suit a lot of commuters/casual cyclists but again probably don’t know they even exist.

... I’d say the flat one side spd the other would suit a lot of commuters/casual cyclists but again probably don’t know they even exist.
    Most of those type of cyclists are simply using ordinary flat pedals anyway in my experience.

With the shoes I think I'm going to go with the spd-sl pedals. Any recommendations for cheap but reliable ?

Most of those type of cyclists are simply using ordinary flat pedals anyway in my experience.

Ah you’re probably right to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The weight difference between bargain SPD SL and high end ones are negligible for most cyclists. If that weight is the difference between finishing a ride or not, you weren't finishing the ride.

SPD SL pedals are also flat enough for runners, I do it all the time, the Shimano ones are the better pedals to other brands in this regard as they tend to be broader and weighted at all price points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

With the shoes I think I'm going to go with the spd-sl pedals. Any recommendations for cheap but reliable ?

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/shimano-pd-rs500-spd-sl-road-pedals/rp-prod189183

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/look-keo-classic-3-road-pedals/rp-prod156285

These are the 2 most popular types of pedals. They are not compatible with each other, as in they use different clipping methods, but they come with a set of cleats to fix to your shoe. You can pay more if you want lighter materials, or to match a groupset on your bike if you have all Shimano 105 for instance, but they all do the same thing.
    I've no idea how many people use each type but I've only ever used Shimano myself. There is an adjustment you can make to make it easier to release the clip - I'm sure Look have something similar

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can get I , though hard to find, look branded shoes which have in built recessed rubber keo cleats. Think they have same float as the red cleats.

The city and touring ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I have shimano's cheapest spd-sl's on my rim braked road bike and train and race on them no problem in all weather for 5 years now. The more expensive ones have a wider load bearing area, which is marginally comfier on longer spins but it's absolutely marginal. The weight difference is fcuk all too.
    I'd say buy what you can afford, they're much of a muchness on the shimano front anyway (I use shimano cos I was given a free pair of shimano pedals when I started out. I'm sure Look are the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭hesker

Yeah you probably can’t go far wrong either way. I’ve been using Look Keo 2 max for about 5 years and find them very comfortable. They have been coming steadily down in price too over that time. Now at about half price vs 5 years ago.

It is worth investing in cleat covers if you intend walking on them. Even short distances if done regularly can make a significant wear difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I have Shimano M324 pedals on my bikes, I find them very comfortable with a Shimano lace up shoe. You do have to roll a pedal over every now and then to clip in, but you get used to that. I can walk around in the shoes ok, and they don't scratch my wooden floors.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

hesker wrote: »
    Yeah you probably can’t go far wrong either way. I’ve been using Look Keo 2 max for about 5 years and find them very comfortable. They have been coming steadily down in price too over that time. Now at about half price vs 5 years ago.

It is worth investing in cleat covers if you intend walking on them. Even short distances if done regularly can make a significant wear difference.

And will help you prevent falling on your arse depending on the surface.

Advertisement