Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Substitute question

Options
  • 07-09-2018 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi. Can I substitute an air rifle license for a shotgun. I already own 3 guns and can’t get alarms and that fitted for more at the moment.i already own a shotgun and rifle. Air rifle is not realy used anymore.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

Its not a like for like swop so it will cost you €80. Its basically a new application but it should be simple enough because you already have firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Its not a like for like swop so it will cost you €80. Its basically a new application but it should be simple enough because you already have firearms.

Excuse my ignorance here now but would the air rifle have to be sold first?

I'm in more or less the same situation, have an air rifle, a .22 and have purchased and am waiting on the licence for another more powerful rifle which hopefully will be okayed soon. I know my current set up is very safe and secure.

I saw another .22 rifle I'd like to buy, do I have to get rid of the air rifle first so I will not need to upgrade security in the home?

Another question if anyone can help, I can move my gun safe to a room upstairs in the house that has only one door for entrance, if I were to install an alarm and at least one five point lever lock on this door would that be secure enough to keep the air rifle and the 3 other rifles or would I need to install an alarm on every window and door in the house?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I was allowed substitute a 22 for a shotgun. Not like for like but a friendly chat with local FO and he was happy enough. Said the super would have to sign off but he didn't see an issue. I suppose every area is different. Ask first maybe and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

SeaFields wrote: »

I was allowed substitute a 22 for a shotgun. Not like for like but a friendly chat with local FO and he was happy enough. Said the super would have to sign off but he didn't see an issue. I suppose every area is different. Ask first maybe and see what they say.
    Depends on your local SIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

No help to you i know. But back in the day of written licences i subbed an air rifle for a swift no bother. Sgt said he didnt care they were both .22, the local guard wasnt too pleased though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

ninja7848 wrote: »
    Hi. Can I substitute an air rifle license for a shotgun. I already own 3 guns and can’t get alarms and that fitted for more at the moment.i already own a shotgun and rifle. Air rifle is not realy used anymore.

(1)

(2)Type and number of firearms

(3)Secure accommodation standard

One non-restricted shot-gun.

The shot-gun shall be disassembled and each part shall be stored securely and separately when not in use.The trigger housing shall be secured against use with an appropriate trigger lock.

One restricted firearm or three or fewer non-restricted firearms.

Each firearm shall be stored securely in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.

Two restricted firearms, or more than three non-restricted firearms.

Each firearm shall be stored in a gun safe which complies with BS 7558 and which shall be securely fixed to a solid structure.The place in which the firearms are stored shall have an alarm fitted and the external doors to the place shall be fitted with locks which comply with BS 3621.

Three or more restricted firearms or six or more firearms, of any type, kept in the same place.

In addition to the standards specified at reference number 3, the place in which the firearms are stored shall have an intruder alarm system, installed and maintained by installers licensed by the Private Security Authority, which complies with I.S. EN 50131 or an equivalent standard approved by the Commissioner of the Garda Síochána.The alarm shall be connected to a monitoring service, operated by a person licensed by the Private Security Authority, and supported with GSM Mobile telephone service back up signalling facilities.

You do not need a monitored alarm until you reach the over 6 threshold a simple alarm will do the trick you can pick up one of these for very little money on amazon,ebay,aliexpress etc....;)
    You can install one of these alarms yourself as the note at the end adds its only that last level of security that requires a professionally fitted monitored alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I subbed a hmr for a .223 amd the 223 for a 243 to shoot deer. No issue with any sub. They can do it if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭clivej

You should be able to do the sub from one unrestricted license to another unrestricted license.
    You can't go from a unrestricted license to a restricted license.

I have gone from an air rifle to a 22lr without any trouble.
    But couldn't go from an unrestricted license to a restricted license even though it was the same 12g shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭German pointer

I was allowed to sub a 223 for an Air rifle. I then subbed the air rifle for a shot gun, got a new 223 license subbed that for a 6.5 Creedmore . Then I was refused a sub from a 270 to a hmr and had to get a new license for the HMR.
    The point I'm making is if they want to do they can. If they don't they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Clivej and German pointer are absolutely right. I've done similar myself. Shotgun for air rifle and vice versa and .22 Hornet for .308. As long as it's unrestricted for unrestricted and the other criteria like good reason and safe storage are met there is no reason why it shouldn't be possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement