Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelling an insurance policy - can I get my money back?

Options
  • 07-09-2018 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey All - I renewed car insurance in August via one of the large online brokers. Last years policy had been in my wifes name (I was the named driver) but I took out the new policy in my name. I paid the full premium for the policy up-front. I am already insured on our main car and I wasn't aware that a no claims bonus was bound to a car and not an individual. I rang the broker last night because they were looking for a proof of no claims. When they realised that I was already insured on another car they offered me 2 options: 1) Transfer my no claims bonus from the other car 2) cancel the policy i bought in August & take out a new policy in my wifes name for more then I paid in August.
    I appreciate that I made the mistake because I wasn't aware of the rules regarding a no claims bonus but the brokers customer care were less then helpful when I tried to work out a solution with them. I went to another broker I've used before this morning and took out a policy with them. Does anyone know if I have any way of getting my money back for the policy I bought in August? 
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,136 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If you cancel, you should get a refund for the unused months left on the policy.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 25,391 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

All of the insurance companies document the formula for refunds in their policy document. If you are into the second or subsequent year of the policy, they normally refund pro rata minus an administration fee. If it's the first year of the policy, you can expect to get screwed.

Check your policy document.

Advertisement