Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many rounds to apply for

Options
  • 06-09-2018 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, I'm filling in my application form and I've come to the maximum rounds part. What can I put down within reason ? I'm applying for a .22 hornet for hunting

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Default is 500 rounds,so go for that.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

With the price of centrefire rifle ammo, 100 would be enough nearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭brugmand

Cheers guys, I went for 500 but i will probably get lower then that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭alanmc

brugmand wrote: »
    Cheers guys, I went for 500 but i will probably get lower then that

I think 500 is quite reasonable. Cant see why you wouldn't be approved for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It pretty much depends on what you're going to use it for. If it's just foxing 100 is ample. If it's foxing and rabbits 2 to 300 is very reasonable. If I remember correctly a lot of .22 Hornet ammo comes in boxes of fifty so make sure you at least apply for a multiple of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

write a letter stating why you want 500, and hope for the best.

a lot still ignore it and you get stuck with 100, 100 isnt too bad for a centrefire for hunting, but awful for a shotgun.

Apparently, its a default EU directive/legislation/etc for rounds to be possesed per gun EU wide.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

garv123 wrote: »
    write a letter stating why you want 500, and hope for the best.

a lot still ignore it and you get stuck with 100, 100 isnt too bad for a centrefire for hunting, but awful for a shotgun.

I like to buy a nice bit of ammo (~200 rounds) even for a centerfire and especially if it's a gun you'll shoot a nice bit, say an all-rounder like a .243. You get your 100 rounds, zero the rifle, do some practice, learn your drops, shoot it a bit..all lovely so far. You go back to the dealer to buy some more and lo and behold the ammo can't be got for love nor money. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

Ive got 100 on my .22.............. and 200 on my .308:confused: it really depends what humor their in tbh
    100x.22lr(s&b)=10euro, hardly worth driving to the rfd for
    200x.308(hornady superformance)=460 euro, not a hope id buy all that at once:D
    Let us know how you get on with the 500 allowance, im thinking of trying to up my .22 to 525 or 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I asked for 100 for my 308 and got 1000 !!

Asked for 1000 on my 22lr, got 750.

Asked for 1000 12 g, got 500.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I asked for 1000 on my air rifle and got 100. (appealed after reading help and advice of forum members here to write letter and got 500).

Asked for 500 on my .22 and got 100.

Hopefully will have an update on latest application soon.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

As Rita Hayworth said"You can't be rich enough, beautiful enough, or have enough ammo!":P

Always apply high for an ammo round count

Advertisement