Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ordinary/higher level history

Options
  • 06-09-2018 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I was thinking to do ordinary level history for jc; will that affect my scores or anything in Leaving Cert because i'm not doing history in Leaving Cert:confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Elsa714 wrote: »
    I was thinking to do ordinary level history for jc; will that affect my scores or anything in Leaving Cert because i'm not doing history in Leaving Cert:confused::confused:

Not at all :P, the only time it would affect Leaving Cert is if you were to do History for it. I did ordinary History for Junior Cert because 1. I hated it and 2. I wanted it to be a passing thought so I wouldn't have to worry about it especially given how I would never be touching it again after Junior Cert.

Ordinary took little effort and I got an A in the end. Nothing to be proud of though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,340 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I did ordinary level History for my Junior Cert years ago. I think I got a B and I didn't do any study after first year. It was a doodle over 10 years ago.
    It won't effect your leaving cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Elsa714

Thanks guys. That really helped. I want to do higher but there's a lot of studying involved and i'll probably get stressed towards the end of the year. :D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The big difference is that in doing HL, you start to learn how to properly construct an essay, deliver an argument, prove a point etc. This is useful for many subjects at LC and beyond. At OL JC, the most you need to write is less than a page of (usually) learned off stuff in Q4.

It's not always about learning, sometimes it is education.

spurious wrote: »
    The big difference is that in doing HL, you start to learn how to properly construct an essay, deliver an argument, prove a point etc. This is useful for many subjects at LC and beyond. At OL JC, the most you need to write is less than a page of (usually) learned off stuff in Q4.

It's not always about learning, sometimes it is education.

Our teacher never did any of that with us. Is it a new thing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Education or learning how to construct an essay in History?

Education or learning how to construct an essay in History?

Constructing a history essay.
    In my class we basical read out of the book.
    Did Christmas and Summer tests.(Everybody did the same) then for the pre people dropped down.
    I can't remember there ever being any discussion of those things you mentioned.
    Basically answer the question on the page was the teachers attitude to it.

You did OL?

Did your teacher not show the HLs how to write an essay using something like.....
    When was it?
    What was it?
    Who was involved?
    What were the immediate effects?
    What were the long term effects?

Other stuff...difference between fact and opinion/how to spot bias, etc.

If not, it explains many of the jumbled answers I have seen in papers over the years.

You did OL?

Did your teacher not show the HLs how to write an essay using something like.....
    When was it?
    What was it?
    Who was involved?
    What were the immediate effects?
    What were the long term effects?

Other stuff...difference between fact and opinion/how to spot bias, etc.

If not, it explains many of the jumbled answers I have seen in papers over the years.

I did higher level up until the day of the pres but I dropped down because I knew it was pointless doing higher level.
    We we given the same preparation. Just read from the book, summarise it for Homework and that was about it.
    Then we had Summer and Christmas test.
    There was never any chat about answering essays/etc we just discussed the layout of the paper a few days before and that was about it.
    If that makes sense. It would have being in the mid 2000's.

The demon text books. I rarely used them myself when teaching, apart from to show photos/images. It's a pity some teachers are such slaves to the textbook and students to the learned off answer.

I guess times change, though the research essay in LC History must come as a shock to students who never really did one before.

• Advertisement

The demon text books. I rarely used them myself when teaching, apart from to show photos/images. It's a pity some teachers are such slaves to the textbook and students to the learned off answer.

I guess times change, though the research essay in LC History must come as a shock to students who never really did one before.

In first year we had a very interative teacher did various things. I fairly enjoyed the subject.
    Then for second year and third we had a read from the book teacher. Never a discussion or question on the topic. I grew to hate the subject.
    Very few people went onto do leaving cert history.

Advertisement