Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Tax Credit Issue in ROS

Options
  • 06-09-2018 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

I'm married and filing a return for 2017. Both my wife and I worked (PAYE) in 2017 but in ROS it shows my personal tax credit as €3,300 - see attached screenshot. Surely this should be €6,600 for a married couple? I am the main earner by the way and this was flagged with Revenue when we married in 2014.

This field value is based on what I've entered in the 'Personal Details' section but all details here are accurate (married, etc.). Can someone please help me? Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

BarneyMc wrote: »

I'm married and filing a return for 2017. Both my wife and I worked (PAYE) in 2017 but in ROS it shows my personal tax credit as €3,300 - see attached screenshot.

Surely this should be €6,600 for a married couple? I am the main earner by the way and this was flagged with Revenue when we married in 2014.

This field value is based on what I've entered in the 'Personal Details' section but all details here are accurate (married, etc.). Can someone please help me? Thanks.

1. Nothing attached!

2. You can allocate your long-suffering missus's personal tax credit to yourself, but you can't get your paws on a cent of her PAYE allowance! So the best you can do is get a total of €4950 tax credits assigned to you. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭iluvfatfrogs

Turnipman wrote: »
    1. Nothing attached!

2. You can allocate your long-suffering missus's personal tax credit to yourself, but you can't get your paws on a cent of her PAYE allowance! So the best you can do is get a total of €4950 tax credits assigned to you. :pac:

Personal Details normally shows 3,300 on ROS and its a different box that you tick to earn the PAYE credit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,074 ✭✭✭relax carry on

I'm married and filing a return for 2017. Both my wife and I worked (PAYE) in 2017 but in ROS it shows my personal tax credit as €3,300 - see attached screenshot. Surely this should be €6,600 for a married couple? I am the main earner by the way and this was flagged with Revenue when we married in 2014.

The way joint assessment works is your single persons personal tax credit of 1650 can be shared to your spouse giving you 1650 personal + 1650 personal which gives the 3300 + 1650 paye credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭BarneyMc

Attachment attached :o

OK I was told I could get €6,600 of personal tax credits :(

All of this came from the fact that I started renting out a property in 2017 and have to file a return for the income now. Even without entering any of the rental income details it says I owe Revenue €2,200 or thereabouts!

I think I know where that €2,200 has come from. We had a baby in 2017 and my wife went on 6 months maternity benefit - standard benefit from the state which amounted to €5,875 (see attached).

This did not appear an either of our P60s for 2017 so my guess is that the tax due on this amount comes to €2,200. This site explains somewhat but I didn't think PAYE workers would have to know to actively pay tax on maternity benefit. I suppose if it bypasses the employer then they're not going to do this for us?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Attachment attached :o

OK I was told I could get €6,600 of personal tax credits :(

All of this came from the fact that I started renting out a property in 2017 and have to file a return for the income now. Even without entering any of the rental income details it says I owe Revenue €2,200 or thereabouts!

You need to tick the box for PAYE credit for both yourself & your wife here. The personal tax credit of €3,300 Is correct.

You need to tick the box for PAYE credit for both yourself & your wife here. The personal tax credit of €3,300 Is correct.

I ticked both boxes and it looks like I over paid by €880 now :) Thank you!
    I will get this all checked before submitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

I didn't think PAYE workers would have to know to actively pay tax on maternity benefit.

I suppose if it bypasses the employer then they're not going to do this for us?

Presumably data protection legislation means that DSP wouldn't be allowed to inform the employer about the amount of MB being paid to the mother, although they can - and do - inform the taxman.

Advertisement