Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric Vehicle reliability - WhatCar survey

Options
  • 06-09-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey-2018-9/

How much weight would you attach to WhatCar's report?

Is the Model S really still that bad? 30% of the complaints were around body panels. I thought they had those build issues sorted (they seem to have in the Model 3 anyway).

The Leaf had a 99.7% satisfaction rating, Ioniq at 93.8% and Model S at 51%. Thats a big gap down to 51%.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

When the Zoe goes wrong, it seems to go very wrong. Lad in the FB group recently saying some unit in his failed and he's being quoted €4.5k to get it fixed.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I often see Tesla owners talk about how good the warranty service is from Tesla.
    Why do they not question why so much warranty work is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

KCross wrote: »
    Is the Model S really still that bad? 30% of the complaints were around body panels. I thought they had those build issues sorted (they seem to have in the Model 3 anyway).

The survey is based on cars 1-4 years old. Don't know about right now, but Model 3's were coming out of the factory with dodgy bodywork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Tesla disputed its placing in the survey. A Tesla spokesperson said: “Only 28 Model S owners responded out of a total of 18,000 car owners surveyed by What Car?. That’s less than 0.03% of UK Model S owners, so this survey is statistically meaningless.

Source:
    https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-news/tesla-model-s-least-reliable-car-car-survey-06-09-2018

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Sabre Man wrote: »
    Tesla disputed its placing in the survey. A Tesla spokesperson said: “Only 28 Model S owners responded out of a total of 18,000 car owners surveyed by What Car?. That’s less than 0.03% of UK Model S owners, so this survey is statistically meaningless.

Source:
    https://www.motortrader.com/motor-trader-news/automotive-news/tesla-model-s-least-reliable-car-car-survey-06-09-2018

I was wondering how valid the survey was. Thanks for that.

It shows you can peddle any agenda you like when it comes to statistics!

Still not great that 50% of the 28 had a complaint to make though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Sabre Man wrote: »

Source:

28/18,000 = 0.155%
    28/0.0003 = 93,333 UK registered Tesla: is that right?

Maybe What Car is a p$$do:D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

Just like normal petrol and diesel cars the Japanese come out on top while the French linger near the bottom ðŸ˜

Tesla really need to sort out there quality control issues. Looking at some of the stuff from owners on YouTube and you see how bad things like panels gaps etc are. It would appear that with the way they are ramping up the model 3 that it will still be an issue for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Brera wrote: »
    Just like normal petrol and diesel cars the Japanese come out on top while the French linger near the bottom

Eh no. Things have moved on a bit in the last few decades. The 2018 JD Power reliability survey UK (so relevant to us too) shows most reliable car makers are

#1 Huyndai (South Korea)
    #2 Suzuki (Japan)
    #3 Kia (South Korea)
    #4 Skoda (Germany)
    #5 Nissan (Japan)
    #6 SEAT (Germany)
    #7 Dacia (France)
    #8 Peugeot (France)

South Korea firmly number 1 most reliable car manufacturing country and France is nowhere near as bad as you think. Note: no Toyota, Subaru, Mazda in the top 8. Peugeot more reliable than the lot of them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

unkel wrote: »
    Eh no. Things have moved on a bit in the last few decades. The 2018 JD Power reliability survey UK (so relevant to us too) shows most reliable car makers are

#1 Huyndai (South Korea)
    #2 Suzuki (Japan)
    #3 Kia (South Korea)
    #4 Skoda (Germany)
    #5 Nissan (Japan)
    #6 SEAT (Germany)
    #7 Dacia (France)
    #8 Peugeot (France)

South Korea firmly number 1 most reliable car manufacturing country and France is nowhere near as bad as you think. Note: no Toyota, Subaru, Mazda in the top 8. Peugeot more reliable than the lot of them :p

I just knew this would not sit well:D

https://www.whatcar.com/news/reliability-survey-2018-9/

How much weight would you attach to WhatCar's report?

The Leaf had a 99.7% satisfaction rating, Ioniq at 93.8% and Model S at 51%. Thats a big gap down to 51%.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Haha!

That's satisfaction rating (subjective measure). Not reliability rating (objective measure)

We all know Leaf owners are easily pleased pottering along at Leafspeed not minding to stop every 100km and wait for charging for an hour :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Whatcar have called it a reliability survey, not satisfaction.

The Ioniq has had a few teething problems, like any new model that gets released, whereas the leaf has had a few years to bed in, so it’s likely just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭creedp

The Ioniq has had a few teething problems, like any new model that gets released, whereas the leaf has had a few years to bed in, so it’s likely just that.

Ah now KCross you've just knocked in the head another long and entertaining tennis rally ... down with rationality

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

We got ours in the first shipment, the two issues experienced were the charge port getting stuck and the groaning back brake, both ended up being known issues and warranty repairs.

I've seen a few Ioniq owners complain about the door handle quality, I even saw one myself where the handle had fallen off!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Brera

#1 Huyndai (South Korea)
    #2 Suzuki (Japan)
    #3 Kia (South Korea)
    #4 Skoda (Germany)
    #5 Nissan (Japan)
    #6 SEAT (Germany)
    #7 Dacia (France)
    #8 Peugeot (France)

Was trying to be funny by playing to the old stereo type 😉But your right the French are not nearly as bad as people think. Once had a Megane 2 - was extremely reliable but then a lot of the bits inside it were made in germany ! Had a Toyota before that and it was nothing but trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Skoda (Germany) not Slovakia?
    SEAT(Germany) not Spanish?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Skoda (Germany) not Slovakia?

Czech.

Originally, but now part of VAG and as such SEAT and Skoda are just locally assembled Volkswagens
    liamog wrote: »
    I've seen a few Ioniq owners complain about the door handle quality, I even saw one myself where the handle had fallen off!

The plastic hooks (that look like metal) in the luggage compartment are very weak. They should really have been metal hooks.

Originally, but now part of VAG and as such SEAT and Skoda are just locally assembled Volkswagens

They usually show much better scores in reliability tests than the German assembled Volkswagens, particularly Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I believe the JD Power survey is a customer-based survey, largely based on customer satisfaction, pretty similar to how the What Car survey is done (the JD Power surveys used to be published in What Car, so they probably just copied the formula once they cut ties).

I think this ADAC report is a much more objective index as it's based on actual breakdown statistics: https://www.adac.de/_mmm/pdf/29004_318390.pdf

Google Translate makes it mostly legible (except for the tables): https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.adac.de%2F_mmm%2Fpdf%2F29004_318390.pdf&edit-text=

Unfortunately it doesn't include low-volume models (<10,000 sold in Germany in a year?) so is probably why there are no EV models. There's no overall manufacturer index, but certain Kia and Hyundai models have done very poorly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement