Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got a new tablet! HELP!!!

Options
  • 05-09-2018 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hello.

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy tab A 7"! Basically it is my first computer and I have no real idea about them.

I want to use it predominantly to back up my camera SD cards so I have a second copy of my photos and obviously I can use the bigger screen to view them etc. that's all good.

Now, I want to know if I can use it for the internet instead of using my smartphone. I have no moden nor the vocabulary to explain this easily in tech speak so I came here.

I an on a pay as you go smartphone, no modem in the house and I live out the country. I have unlimited data from 3, in certain parts of the house I get great internet signal and others I get none.

I don't even know where this internet comes from, is it some sort of wifi? I usually have my wifi button turned off on my phone so I suppose it can't be. Can anyone explain these basics to me in "English"?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

gr8 m8 wrote: »
    Hello.

I just purchased a Samsung Galaxy tab A 7"! Basically it is my first computer and I have no real idea about them.

I want to use it predominantly to back up my camera SD cards so I have a second copy of my photos and obviously I can use the bigger screen to view them etc. that's all good.

Now, I want to know if I can use it for the internet instead of using my smartphone. I have no moden nor the vocabulary to explain this easily in tech speak so I came here.

I an on a pay as you go smartphone, no modem in the house and I live out the country. I have unlimited data from 3, in certain parts of the house I get great internet signal and others I get none.

I don't even know where this internet comes from, is it some sort of wifi? I usually have my wifi button turned off on my phone so I suppose it can't be. Can anyone explain these basics to me in "English"?

Many thanks.

The internet connection is coming in from your 3 mobile signal so youll need good coverage to access the internet.
    It depends on your phone and what its called but you should be able to turn on a personal hotspot and connect the tablet to the phone by wifi to get internet on the tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gr8 m8

Hello,

Okay, I opened up the hotspot on the phone and then went to settings an wifi on the tablet. It picked up the phone and now it wants a password.

Would this be a password I put in the phone when I got it or would it be pre assigned to the phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Hello,

Okay, I opened up the hotspot on the phone and then went to settings an wifi on the tablet. It picked up the phone and now it wants a password.

Would this be a password I put in the phone when I got it or would it be pre assigned to the phone?

You set the password in the mobile hotspot settings on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭gr8 m8

Hello again.

It worked and I'm connected. Thank you very much to both replies! Enjoy the rest of your evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

For your photos - look at an application called “Google Photos”
    I sign into this app with the same gmail I use on my phone and by adjusting the settings now any photo I take or receive on some other applications (eg WhatsApp) get automatically backed up.

It means I can view them anywhere even if I lose my phone.

You can also import photos from any other source and once you use the highest quality setting it’s free...
    Been a lifesaver for me just having the one place to see all my shots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭ouxbbkqtswdfaw

If you want to use it instead of your smartphone, you could buy a Samsung tablet which will take your SIM. Then use the tablet as your phone.

Advertisement