Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Devices That Run Rockbox?

Options
  • 05-09-2018 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭

Hi

Are there any current music devices that run Rockbox? If not is there any comparable firmware to Rockbox? I know there still exists legacy sansa clips that can run Rockbox but they are generally quite expensive. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If your familiar with Rockbox then you must be familiar with this https://www.rockbox.org which is the where you would get any firmwares that are available. So in other words there is hardly going to be any other devices that support rockbox that arn't already listed on that site.

I believe Foobar for android has similar functions as you would find in Rockbox. USB Audio Player Pro and Neutron Player both for android have a crossfeed function as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Well there are always the possibility of unofficial hacks/mods wouldnt you agree? Ill try your suggestion thanks.

Well there are always the possibility of unofficial hacks/mods wouldnt you agree? Ill try your suggestion thanks.

Well yes it's possible but highly unlikely since basically the project has ended due to smartphones that can do the same thing with an app rather than a whole software system replacement.

rockbox dev is pretty dead.

don't think that there are any cheap devices on sale that can be rockboxed e.g. around the original clip price point.

you'd have to pay > 100 for something like an Agptek Rocker or fiio x1

otherwise buy an old clip / clip + (but they tend to break and were not bullt to last 10 years)

you might be able to get this rockboxable clip zip for cheap

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SanDisk-Clip-Zip-Sansa-MP3-Player-4GB-In-BLACK/223130448582?epid=109423992&hash=item33f39c72c6:g:ELQAAOSw2kVbjnjk

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Yea i know smartphones can do everything rockbox can and more but using a smartphone whilst walking is pretty cumbersome changing tracks etc, the Sansa clips were great for that physically but without rockbox were pretty awful firmware wise.

• Advertisement

I hear ya. I don't know what phone your on but on Android if your handy you can set up long press on volume (when screen is off) to skip tracks. Bluetooth headphones would have a skip track hardware button too. Only suggesting these as I don't think your going to find your rockbox unless you buy and old device. I have an old Cowon i10 32Gb and I would love get rockbox on it as the interface is the worst ever but it will never happened.

Advertisement