Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying your own gas boiler or having plumber supply it?

Options
  • 05-09-2018 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭

Is it cheaper to buy a boiler yourself and get an RGI to install it. From what I can make out and by way as an example a combi boiler costing circa€ 1100 - inclusive of vat and flue- will cost circa €2200 if an installer buys and installs it for you. Cost of installation is €1100
    . If one buys a combi boiler to replace an old boiler of similar size and give it to the installer what would one want to get with the boiler , besides the flue, the the installer might want.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Field east wrote: »
    Is it cheaper to buy a boiler yourself and get an RGI to install it. From what I can make out and by way as an example a combi boiler costing circa€ 1100 - inclusive of vat and flue- will cost circa €2200 if an installer buys and installs it for you. Cost of installation is €1100
    . If one buys a combi boiler to replace an old boiler of similar size and give it to the installer what would one want to get with the boiler , besides the flue, the the installer might want.
    Most places will not sell you a gas boiler or ancillary gas components unless you are Gas Registered, so that part of your plan may be out.
    Taking down a standard boiler and putting up a combi involves a lot more pipework that means a higher cost factor.
    If you were to buy the boiler and you managed to get someone to fit it, the installer has no obligation to get involved in warranty issues in the event of the boiler giving trouble outside of a problem with their installation work.
    On a personal note, I wouldn't install a gas appliance unless I have purchased it, this ensures that there is no ambiguity in the event of a warranty call out.

Advertisement