Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing top of cavity wall

Options
  • 05-09-2018 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭

Acceptable details state that the top of a cavity wall should be closed using a firestopping insulant to allow continuity of roof insulation and cavity wall insulation. I've been specifying Rockwool cavity fire barrier but some contractors not a fan as the bag can't be cut and sometimes has to be bent around a corner making it difficult to close the whole cavity width. Other contractors don't have an issue.

Anyone know any alternative products suitable for eaves level?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I can't be a whole lot of help other than to add to the complications. The rockwool bags are only available up to 150mm so if the cavity is wider that rules them out too!

At that width I have been having to specify something like Rockwool SP or Lamatherm but neither of these are ideal and have to be coupled with careful DPC detailing.

I briefly investigated turning the window/door jamb cavity closers on the flat to close the top of the cavity but after consulting one of the the leading manufacturers it turns out that many of these products have test results specifically for standing upright and no data to prove they can be used on the flat.

So I would also be interested in other people's experiences.

Advertisement