Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arklow

Options
  • 05-09-2018 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭

Fished the pier and shore at Arklow yesterday afternoon and evening. Serious onshore wind from NNE so the beach was much more accommodating than the pier. I hooked good fish on both that I never got to land, just wondering what they might have been and what I might do to improve the chances of getting them to shore in future. They hit hard and fought well. Caught some whiting and dogfish so still a good session but I'd love to have at least seen the better stuff. The first one bent out a size 1 hook. Any recommendations for things to try here would be appreciated. The dogs were taken on mackerel at about 80ish yards and the whiting mostly closer in on rag and mackerel.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

Possibly bass or smoothounds. Stronger 3/0 hooks probably a better option to go with

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm going to have a crack tomorrow. Fish one rod at distance with a bigger bait and one close in to bash whiting and flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

You will catch bass almost at your feet so never cast too far - I make my own rigs to 4/0 as I hate catching flatties and you have the extra power in the hooks - probably a decent bass or smoothhound - I would imagine smoothie as arklow wouldnt be the best bass mark but it's September so could well have been!

Any man who fishes with his wife or girlfriend will tell you the women usually catch more bass than they do - they think it's beginners luck - it's actually because they can only cast 15 yards :D

I find flappers better than pennels, I dont mess about with too many other rigs.

I must chance arklow some night, seems to be good fishing by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Went back yesterday, tried the beach but despite a good start with a dab and decent whiting on the first and second chuck, it went quiet then and the fishing was hard with the southerly breeze and strong tide. Moved around to the pier and spent the next couple of hours catching whiting on average better than one per cast. Entertaining fishing but not quite what I was hoping for so I'll be back again!

Advertisement