Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killeen Castle Black Tees

Options
  • 05-09-2018 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Anybody play any of the black tee opens in Killeen Castle? We are playing this Sunday, 7677 yards.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭ridonkulous

Bottle wrote: »
    Anybody play any of the black tee opens in Killeen Castle? We are playing this Sunday, 7677 yards.....

Not this year but I have before. Bring the rosary beads...

But on a serious note just try to enjoy it, it's a major slog and anything near 30 points is a serious achievement and should receive a medal in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

The last 3 are absolute monsters from the back. The 16th is a 205yds carry over the water to the Green. The 17th must be about 225 to get to the Fairway. The 18th is the hardest. The wind is usually into off the left and about 220 to get to the fairway. It's the fatigue and the length over the last 3 that gets to most. Have at least 28 points on the card walking off the 15th. That's all I can say! 31/32 will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If there is a bit of run on the ball I find it pretty enjoyable off the blacks, but with soft ground it can be a slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭AhHaor

Played Black tee challenge last March. Soft and no run. Course was a brute, and then you get to 16th tee, those last 3 holes with wind are unreal. Interesting that the Solheim Cup was played off the whites!

Enjoyable as a one off, but having more into par 4s for your second than your drive has gone gets old very quickly!

• Advertisement

AhHaor wrote: »
    Played Black tee challenge last March. Soft and no run. Course was a brute, and then you get to 16th tee, those last 3 holes with wind are unreal. Interesting that the Solheim Cup was played off the whites!

Enjoyable as a one off, but having more into par 4s for your second than your drive has gone gets old very quickly!

They wouldn't even put the Ryder Cup off the blacks there, it would be off the blues.

Played the Black Tees today, jasus it is some monster. Can't say I enjoyed it as it was a 5 hour 20 minute round of golf and no sign of a course ranger. It actually took 3 hours to play the front 9 and lots of people then started giving up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Played the Black Tees today, jasus it is some monster. Can't say I enjoyed it as it was a 5 hour 20 minute round of golf and no sign of a course ranger. It actually took 3 hours to play the front 9 and lots of people then started giving up.

Jesus. Must have been a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

What a magnificent course, but I've only played of the forward tees. I couldn't imagine playing off the back tees, unless your a low single digits handicap I think it would be frustrating and as you said far too long to be out on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

5hr20 is obscene. Why so slow?

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    5hr20 is obscene. Why so slow?

It's nearly 7700 yards with long long walks between a lot of greens and tees so can easily see that happening. You'd do very well to get round in less than 4:30 off the blacks.

There was a four ball 3 groups ahead of us who lost at least 4 holes, and the lack of a course ranger meant that nothing was done to get them moving on, that was the disappointing part of it. We were waiting on tee boxes for 10 minutes, and there was 6 groups playing the 10th and 11th holes at the same time, we could then see the 3 ball in front of us walk in and the same behind us. One of our 4 ball is a big hitter and had a good score going.....

Advertisement