Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International flights sickness outbreaks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Advisory *News story only - No need to panic*

Two more flights reported witj airplane sickness checks ..

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-airlines-illness/passengers-fall-ill-on-two-flights-from-europe-to-philadelphia-idUSKCN1LM31V

"250 people on separate American Airlines (AAL.O) flights from Munich and Paris were "held for a medical review" as a precaution, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was notified"

Both incidents initially linked to flu outbreak in Mecca ...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

gozunda wrote: »
    "250 people on separate American Airlines (AAL.O) flights from Munich and Paris were "held for a medical review" as a precaution, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) was notified"

You're clearly determined to escalate this into a prospective pandemic (not to mention mass panic) situation when there simply is no story here. Instead of selectively quoting '250 people' (the total number of people on the two flights), this is the relevant piece which you'd probably prefer we didn't hear about ....
    “Twelve passengers from the two flights reported sore throat and cough, none were identified with fever. None of the passengers are severely ill, and they will be released and informed of test results in 24 hours,” Haynes said.

In summary: none (have a fever) and none (are seriously ill). And prior to landing, the flight crew didn't even see fit to radio ahead that there was a medical situation on board.

Nothing to see here, go back to your homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Somewhat unrelated, but as long as Congo Airways check their passengers for fever, prior to travel all should be fine.

This week's statement fromt the WHO (World Health Organisation) emergency response chief, Peter Salama, said their first {urban} outbreak (in Butembo, DRC) is worrying.

He added:
    “When you have an Ebola case confirmed in a city with one million people, no one should be sleeping well tonight around the world.”

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Two seperate reports of multiple passengers becoming Ill on flights in recent days ...
    In a confined space, if one person vomits, others are likely to engage in 'sympathetic' vomiting, even if they are not ill - it's purely psychological.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

There has been an increase in the number of cases of food poisoning this summer in Ireland. Possibly relqted to the heat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Victor wrote: »
    In a confined space, if one person vomits, others are likely to engage in 'sympathetic' vomiting, even if they are not ill - it's purely psychological.

It certainly works for yawning, with very high response rate.

There was a case in the papers years ago during peak flu season whereby someone threw up at the entrance to the Ldn Apolla theatre (pre-concert).

Afterwards hundreds of cases of flu were reported directly traced back or corresponding to that event.

coylemj wrote: »
    You're clearly determined to escalate this into a prospective pandemic (not to mention mass panic) situation when there simply is no story here. Instead of selectively quoting '250 people' (the total number of people on the two flights), this is the relevant piece which you'd probably prefer we didn't hear about ....

Hyperbole much?

As my niece would text - 'Lol just lol' ....

It's a news story with some links ... :rolleyes:

Here's another one since you seem determined to get worked up over news stories ..!

Monkey Pox!

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/sep/08/first-ever-case-of-monkeypox-recorded-in-the-uk

Victor wrote: »

One of the news reports detailed that the toilets were awash with vomit...whether over exageration or otherwise - it would be enough to send most people off ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No harm in talking about these things, have people a bit more aware when travelling abroad.
    My GP reckons we're well overdue a pandemic, I think he's right, these things do tend to be somewhat cyclic.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Hyperbole much?

Yes, on your part.
    Here's another one since you seem determined to get worked up over news stories ..!

Monkey Pox!

From the Guardian article you linked to ......
    PHE (Public Health England) said monkeypox does not spread easily and most patients recover within a few weeks.

Any more hyped up non-stories to share with us......

Bubonic plague among pilgrims to Knock?

Typhoid fever on Croagh Patrick?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    Yes,onyour part.FromtheGuardianarticleyoulinked to.
    Anymorehypedupnon-storiestosharewith usBubonicplague among pilgrimstoKnock?
    TyphoidfeveronCroaghPatrick?]

As you seem to like to get excited there's a whole raft of potential natural disasters on this thread to give out about -
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057875388/1

Watch out for those Monkies though ... ;)

One of the newspaper reports stories above had a link to recent research carried out looking at the spread of infectious agents in airports. Findings of the research shows that:
    ...The leading contender for “most infectious airport surface”: the plastic trays used at airport security checkpoints.

The most common virus found in the current study was rhinovirus, which causes the common cold. But the samples also included the influenza A virus, as well as  coronavirus  and adenovirus, which are also associated with the common cold as well as other mild to severe respiratory ailments.

Interestingly, none of the samples taken in an airport bathroom — on the upper surface of the toilet bowl lid, on the button for flushing, and on the bathroom’s door lock — tested positive for a virus.

The researchers say the bathroom findings are not all that unexpected, “as passengers may pay particular attention to limiting touch and to hand hygiene in a washroom environment
    .”

See: https://www.minnpost.com/second-opinion/2018/09/the-most-infectious-airport-surface-security-trays-new-study-finds/

*Advisory:*
    The news story, including all names, characters, and incidents portrayed do not indicate any widespread outbreak either real or imagined

No identification with actual persons (living or deceased), places, buildings, and products is intended or should be inferred.

The detail provided neither assumes or encourages behaviour involving panic or bizarre replies.

Addendum: No animals were harmed in the making of this report.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Mod-note:

Thread closed by me.

No harm in talking about these things, have people a bit more aware when travelling abroad.
    My GP reckons we're well overdue a pandemic, I think he's right, these things do tend to be somewhat cyclic.

This.

Advisory threads are important.
    Advisory threads are good reminders for people to visit their GP/registered nurse prior to travel w/any concerns or queries they have.

I am Not entirely sure we need a new thread for every outbreak but should we have a drastic escalation WorldWide w/travelling, then I reckon we can re-open and keep news-stories of this nature together.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Mod-note:

Thread closed by me.

This.

Advisory threads are important.
    Advisory threads are good reminders for people to visit their GP/registered nurse prior to travel w/any concerns or queries they have.

I am Not entirely sure we need a new thread for every outbreak but should we have a drastic escalation WorldWide w/travelling, then I reckon we can re-open and keep news-stories of this nature together.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Mod-note:

Thread re-opened. It will be monitored. Any issues feel free to pm(again). It can be closed again at any time, with explanatory note ofc.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Recently came across the following website which maps aviation incidents and also areas worldwide where notable illnesses have occurred.

Might be useful for those intending to travel and/or looking for relevant travel health information

See:

https://aviation.globalincidentmap.com

http://outbreaks.globalincidentmap.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Paramedics were called onto a flight I was on immediately upon touching down in LA last week. One person had become pretty unwell. No idea of the details. Probably a coincidence.
    There was a crate labeled 'x-factor judges' house' amongst other things in the luggage and Dermot O'Leary was on the flight. So if this is the early stage of a zombie virus outbreak then maybe it will be like Dead Set. This would improve upon the standard x-factor format a lot so we can only hope.

Just remembered this thread.

You Sir / Madame have been just awarded the Boards Users Top Prescient Award!

Take a bow ;)

Advertisement