Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old tractor with no Tax Book

Options
  • 05-09-2018 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I am buying an old (around 1980ish) tractor off a fella who is doing a few bits with it for me now.

I want to get it fully legal on the road with Tax and Insurance but the Log book / Owners Cert is long since missing, probably even a few owners back at this stage. I don't even have a Registration Number - All I have is the Chassis number.

How do I go about getting it registered. I would rather find out the original number and have that on it but I also wouldn't mind if I have to put a new number on it. My main priority is just to get it legally on the road.

Anyone done this before or have any idea where to start ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Click into the links below, they have a bit of advice on what to do.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057835535
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056238772
    The haulage and heavy machinery forum would have a few threads on how to get sorted but you might have to go back a while or search the forum using the search function at the top of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 smiththeglen

Kind of similar situation here 2 john deere tractors 90s number plates but no tax book. Would like to have them sorted for using on the road. Any help appreciated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Click into the links below, they have a bit of advice on what to do.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057835535
    The haulage and heavy machinery forum would have a few threads on how to get sorted but you might have to go back a while or search the forum using the search function at the top of this thread.

I had run a few searches but hadn't found that last thread which is useful - so thanks for that.

A lot of the queries and responses there were people doing first time registrations though - my problem is that I don't know if this was ever registered before or not (although I presume it was. I'm going to ring Shannon after lunch and see what they have to say on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

OK - This is where I am now.....

I rang Shannon and top be fair, the fella there was helpful (in as much as he could be). He did a search for me via the Chassis number but couldn't find anything. He told me to talk to the Motor Tax office.

I rang the Motor Tax office (Ennis for me), and again the girl there was very helpful in as much as she could be. She said they used have a good few cases like this a few years ago but haven't had one for a while. She tried to search by the Chassis number also but found nothing. So she said, I have no option only to register it again via NCTS.

So I rang NCTS, the girl there told me that all I would need is to get in contact with some kind of an enthusiasts club and get a page from them of the specs etc of the tractor. That sounds grand - But then..... In order to complete the registration, I have to actually bring the tractor to the VRT Centre..... Now that....is a royal pain in the hole. My nearest center is 25 miles away, and fast and all as Leyland 272's were on the road, I don't fancy a 50 mile round trip.

Did anyone ever manage to get around this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cuculainn

BnB wrote: »

I rang Shannon and top be fair, the fella there was helpful (in as much as he could be). He did a search for me via the Chassis number but couldn't find anything. He told me to talk to the Motor Tax office.

I rang the Motor Tax office (Ennis for me), and again the girl there was very helpful in as much as she could be. She said they used have a good few cases like this a few years ago but haven't had one for a while. She tried to search by the Chassis number also but found nothing. So she said, I have no option only to register it again via NCTS.

So I rang NCTS, the girl there told me that all I would need is to get in contact with some kind of an enthusiasts club and get a page from them of the specs etc of the tractor. That sounds grand - But then..... In order to complete the registration, I have to actually bring the tractor to the VRT Centre..... Now that....is a royal pain in the hole. My nearest center is 25 miles away, and fast and all as Leyland 272's were on the road, I don't fancy a 50 mile round trip.

I had a similar problem a while back. There is a form that you can get at the motor tax office/website. You basically fill in chasis number on the form and you get a garage to verify the tractor is as described. You submit that form with a change of ownership form. I cant think of the name of the forms but I have them at home and will check Sunday evening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Not a heavy tractor cant you stick it on a trailer and take it the 25 mikes

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

BnB wrote: »

A guy who lives a few miles away from us and new to the area had a simular problem although in his case he bought a 35x as a project to do up over the Winter. He eventually got it restored and wanted to use it on charity tractor runs but didn't have a log book nor a registration number. I transported it on the small lorry (t&s) to the NCT centre in Carrick on Shannon where a lady inspector looked for the chassis number and verified the hourage which was silly as he had a new odometer? fitted. There was a bit of problem as there was no plate showing the chassis number so I showed her the engine number cause the neighbour hadn't a clue and I said that must be the chassis number :cool:
    Anyway the man got his log book, a new registration number (vintage) and was able to take part in local charity runs.

I charged him €125 for bringing it 30 odd miles to the center, waiting for the inspection and returning back to his home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,186 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Car99 wrote: »
    Not a heavy tractor cant you stick it on a trailer and take it the 25 mikes
    According to Tractordata they are 3402kgs so you would be overweight for towing with a jeep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Keith Tierney

Hi , Did you find out the name of the form thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭9935452

If its the form you fill out, get tractor inspected by dealer and signed by a peace commissioner

I tbink its called a statuary declaratio form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Where the VRC is not available or cannot be produced, we accept a declaration of ownership change in the form of a statutory declaration sworn before a Commissioner of Oaths or Practicing Solicitor. The Statutory Declaration must be also be accompanied by the aforementioned letter from Executor of Will or Solicitor.

A Statutory Declaration Form can be got at your local Motor Tax Office.

Advertisement