Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resign an RPT for a maternity????

Options
  • 05-09-2018 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hello guys,

This a hypothetical at the moment, but basically, I have an 11 RPT which is an hour away. I have been called to interview for an 18 hour maternity which is a lot closer to home and a school with a good reputation and one which I have tried to get into previously.

If in the event of being offered the maternity - what steps do I have to follow (obviously talk to principal, letter of resignation etc.), am I required to work the months notice as required in my contract? Do I need to inform the Department, are there consequences to leaving an RPT? Obviously, I won't get paid for the week I have already worked as my contract doesn't begin until the 1st of September - am I correct in that?

Am I mad to leave an RPT for maternity?? At the moment, I'm not very happy with my new school but the grass is always greener and all that ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Some schools will let you go, some will make you work your notice. Given that you could be hard to replace (depends on your subject), timetable is up and running so your replacement will have to be able to take over your timetable, it could be awkward for your current school. Department don't really have to do anything once you have resigned, you'll get your last payslip.

None of that is really important. Question is: what are you going to do in 6 months time when the maternity comes to an end, presuming the teacher doesn't take unpaid leave? You could be back scrambling around for subbing work for the last few months of the school year and no pay for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 deflated17

Some schools will let you go, some will make you work your notice. Given that you could be hard to replace (depends on your subject), timetable is up and running so your replacement will have to be able to take over your timetable, it could be awkward for your current school. Department don't really have to do anything once you have resigned, you'll get your last payslip.

None of that is really important. Question is: what are you going to do in 6 months time when the maternity comes to an end, presuming the teacher doesn't take unpaid leave? You could be back scrambling around for subbing work for the last few months of the school year and no pay for the summer.

I have a subject where there is demand for teachers. Regarding timetabling, if my days were not as spread out, I probably would stick it out but I have large gaps in my days, I know I can get work done but there is only so much prep you can do.

I'm not sure about what happens in six months time but might ask in interview. I know there is a possibility there could be some extra leave - will have to find out. What's another summer with no salary :) I've done it for plenty of years - I correct/mark and supervise so that would see me through.

deflated17 wrote: »
    I have a subject where there is demand for teachers. Regarding timetabling, if my days were not as spread out, I probably would stick it out but I have large gaps in my days, I know I can get work done but there is only so much prep you can do.

I'm not sure about what happens in six months time but might ask in interview. I know there is a possibility there could be some extra leave - will have to find out. What's another summer with no salary :) I've done it for plenty of years - I correct/mark and supervise so that would see me through.

Well it’s ultimately what suits you, but are the contracts in your area mainly maternity rather than RPT. I just say that in terms of the fact that you are on an 11 hour contract an hour from home. Are there that many jobs available in that subject?

Well it’s ultimately what suits you, but are the contracts in your area mainly maternity rather than RPT. I just say that in terms of the fact that you are on an 11 hour contract an hour from home. Are there that many jobs available in that subject?

I have a modern foreign language so I've never been out of work. Surprisingly this year with all of the talk about the teacher shortages, I only had two interviews for RPT. There are very few jobs available in my area full stop. Obviously the shortage is the East.

I have a modern foreign language so I've never been out of work. Surprisingly this year with all of the talk about the teacher shortages, I only had two interviews for RPT. There are very few jobs available in my area full stop. Obviously the shortage is the East.

Two very contradictory statements. To be honest, I'd be reluctant to give up a contract to go subbing if there is that little work where you live.

• Advertisement

Two very contradictory statements. To be honest, I'd be reluctant to give up a contract to go subbing if there is that little work where you live.

Sorry, as I said previously, because of my subjects, I have never been unemployed for too long and principals/deputies have also told me that it is very difficult to find a language teacher.

The second point referred to all subjects - there weren't many vacancies in all subjects not just mine - I was waiting all summer for educationposts to have hundreds of vacancies (slight exaggeration but there were loads of vacancies last year compared to this year) but it never happened this year.

I will attend interview anyway - it won't hurt anyone. If successful, I'll be back :) I think there would be some unpaid leave but would want some written confirmation but I know that is not possible as that is applied for after maternity ends. Really not having pay during the summer doesn't bother me. Job satisfaction does - everything is fine and dandy now but winter has to arrive yet.

Advertisement