Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon RF

Options
  • 05-09-2018 8:45am
    Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

I see Canon announced a new mount type this morning called RF for their new cameras, which allows the lens to get much closer to the sensor or something.

There’s an adapter so you can still use your EF stuff.

No mirrorless.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What do you mean no mirrorless? That's the whole deal...

The Verge reporting pricing too, $2,299 body only and $3,399 with the new 24-105 F4 lens.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/5/17822310/canon-eos-r-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-announced

It looks really interesting. The price is definitely on the high side. Given I was going to jump ship from a Canon 60D to a Sony A7III this changes things a bit. Although I would be wary of jumping ship to a gen.1 product. Looking forward to see the hands-on reviews.

• Administrators Posts: 53,652 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Oh I totally misread that then :D

Makes way more sense to me now.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So Canon have said that they will be releasing other mirrorless models aimed at pro's in due course. The amount of people online complaining about the lack of dual SD card ports is laughable really. It's not something that would make a blind bit of difference to me as a landscape shooter, and if you're a pro wedding photographer then maybe this device just isn't for you.

Lets wait and see what the reviews look like.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same happened with Nikon Zs.

It does look nice though AGAIN canon went weak on video presumably to protect the C line a bit once more (GHs already eating your lunch there lads).

For me, if I was gonna spend a bit of cash, it looks like it could be a total winner except for the controls change. I'd want to keep using EF glass but the primary dial for settings control is now on lens which the EFs dont have so then you use the control dial adapter which has it buried against the body not out front where you can really use it. Few grand for a half assed setup would be a bit of a let down.

ED E wrote: »
    Same happened with Nikon Zs.

It does look nice though AGAIN canon went weak on video presumably to protect the C line a bit once more (GHs already eating your lunch there lads).

For me, if I was gonna spend a bit of cash, it looks like it could be a total winner except for the controls change. I'd want to keep using EF glass but the primary dial for settings control is now on lens which the EFs dont have so then you use the control dial adapter which has it buried against the body not out front where you can really use it. Few grand for a half assed setup would be a bit of a let down.

There are still 2 control wheels, the first wheel at the shutter, and the other on top, but to the rear. It seems workable. The adjustment wheel seems like a nice addition, but I don't know if it is essential.

The pricing is looking pretty rough for the UK... 3200stg for the camera with 24-105 F4. That's a lot of dosh. I was hoping for it to align better with the a7iii.

I'll be upgrading before Christmas, and unfortunately I think this is just over budget. It's a shame, as it seems it would have suited me perfectly. I'd wonder how the pricing will fair throughout the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Was looking to upgrade to this, like the kit lens (24 to 105) but at €4000 for camera and lens it is way out of my league.

@Alanstrainor, let us know what you go for, I may go for the EOS M50 body to hook up my EF 70-200 and M glass as an interim or wait for the Sony A7 mk III

On the pricing front, it will hold high for at least a year if the 80D is anything to go by, I was looking at that as it has the dual AF, its is still a saucy price in some arenas

Agent_47 wrote: »
    On the pricing front, it will hold high for at least a year if the 80D is anything to go by, I was looking at that as it has the dual AF, its is still a saucy price in some arenas

Yes I would think the same. There's quite a few first impressions floating around on youtube now. It does look promising. The main complaints seem to be around the lack of dual card slots and the 4K crop factor for video. Neither of which concern me in the slightest. ISO performance seems very good on jpgs, even better than the 5d IV. And I would agree with the pricing idea, canon are not ones to move too quickly to adjust pricing. This camera should have a long life and I would expect the pricing to be strong for some time.

@Alanstrainor, what about the Fuji XT2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

@Alanstrainor, what about the Fuji XT2?

Or the XT3 for that matter. Looks to have incredible specs and its only 1700 euro.

• Advertisement

Chavways wrote: »
    Or the XT3 for that matter. Looks to have incredible specs and its only 1700 euro.

where and what are you getting at that price?

Yes I would think the same. There's quite a few first impressions floating around on youtube now. It does look promising. The main complaints seem to be around the lack of dual card slots and the 4K crop factor for video. Neither of which concern me in the slightest. ISO performance seems very good on jpgs, even better than the 5d IV. And I would agree with the pricing idea, canon are not ones to move too quickly to adjust pricing. This camera should have a long life and I would expect the pricing to be strong for some time.

A chap I know has a Canon 5D Mk iv, he reckons the EOS R is only an updated version of his camera and sees no need to change it. It is lighter but that's it.
    If one could get it at US pricing then it would be worth it.

I may plumb for an interim camera (EOS M50) as the EVF is what I miss, how quickly I miss other manual features is the issue I have. The 80D is 2 years old with the old Digic 6 processor. Then again I may wait a month and see.....

@Alan: Yeah dunno how I missed that first time around. Off to rob a bank then I'll grab an R and some of that sweet new glass too :pac:
    A chap I know has a Canon 5D Mk iv, he reckons the EOS R is only an updated version of his camera

Internally thats exactly what it is, 5DMKIV with a short flange distance and control tweaks. Small improvements on very good are still very good though.

A chap I know has a Canon 5D Mk iv, he reckons the EOS R is only an updated version of his camera and sees no need to change it. It is lighter but that's it.
    If one could get it at US pricing then it would be worth it.

I may plumb for an interim camera (EOS M50) as the EVF is what I miss, how quickly I miss other manual features is the issue I have. The 80D is 2 years old with the old Digic 6 processor. Then again I may wait a month and see.....

The comparison to the 5d mkiv is pretty spot on tbh. Canon have said there's more to come in terms of full frame mirrorless. So that might be a real 5d mirrorless with a different sensor and higher price-tag aiming at pros instead of pro-sumers like the EOS R is.

I need to do my sums I think in terms of Sony A7III vs Canon EOS R. The only Canon glass I have is EF-S for APS-C, so I think I'll need to re-think being able to use my old lenses moving forward.

it seems the options will come down to the Fuji XTC 3 or the Sony A7 III, i have the same issue, M and EFS glass, useless if i change

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Chavways wrote: »

XT-3 is €1500. I've my deposit paid for one. Looking forward to 20th Sept (ish)

Bacchus wrote: »
    XT-3 is €1500. I've my deposit paid for one. Looking forward to 20th Sept (ish)

Where are you getting it and what lens spec?

I need to do my sums I think in terms of Sony A7III vs Canon EOS R. The only Canon glass I have is EF-S for APS-C, so I think I'll need to re-think being able to use my old lenses moving forward.

Crop factor of 1.7 when using video so if you were vlogging the EF-S stable becomes useful once more....

Forget it, I can see where you're getting that price! Care to do group buy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Sheeps

I'm really considering this, but it may drive down the price of a 5D mk iv. Not sure which I should upgrade to (from a 6D mk1). I'd like dual card slots, so maybe I should wait for the next mirrorless from Canon. I'm sure there'll be rapid improvements over the first gen.

• Advertisement

Forget it, I can see where you're getting that price! Care to do group buy :)

That's the retail price, I'm not getting it somewhere special if that's what you're wondering. I've pre-ordered in O'Leary's in Cork. Body only, no lens. Hopefully getting it next week! :)

Group buy? Can you even do that for the XT-3?

@Bacchus, presume you are coming from Fuji and have Fuji lenses? Looking hard at my cannon glass, very hard to move to Fuji when I have Canon glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

and if you're a pro wedding photographer then maybe this device just isn't for you.

Silent shooting is a real bonus for wedding photographers.
    And it should focus better in live view which is handy for awkward angles where you can't use the viewfinder.

@Bacchus, presume you are coming from Fuji and have Fuji lenses? Looking hard at my cannon glass, very hard to move to Fuji when I have Canon glass.

Yup, I am.

Totally different situation for you for sure. You've an investment in Canon gear so there's more effort to switch system. I switched from Nikon at a time where I hadn't invested in the more expensive Nikon lens so that eased the transition financially. I see Fuji are running some deals on Fuji glass bought with the XT-3 btw.

ED E wrote: »
    Crop factor of 1.7 when using video so if you were vlogging the EF-S stable becomes useful once more....

It's true, and I have a 10-22mm EF-S which is a lovely lens. But I'll never vlog, but it is nice to be able to use the old glass.
    Sheeps wrote: »
    I'm really considering this, but it may drive down the price of a 5D mk iv. Not sure which I should upgrade to (from a 6D mk1). I'd like dual card slots, so maybe I should wait for the next mirrorless from Canon. I'm sure there'll be rapid improvements over the first gen.

I think if you can wait then that is the sensible option. The 6d mk1 is still a great camera, so perhaps there is no mad rush for you. The only thing is the price of this potential pro mirrorless from Canon, it could be 4 grand easily enough.

That 50 1.2 is so delicious. If only the R had IS it'd be an amazing walking about setup.

I'm

Very

Jealous

Advertisement