Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th Year is already so stressful

Options
  • 04-09-2018 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

It's been a week since school started and I'm spending 2hrs a night studying and another 3hrs doing my homework and then another hour for eating. I have no free time anymore and it's just so stressful and then I have an eight-subject to do over the weekend...it's just so much work right now.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 royalthomas

Oh, don't worry, you'll stop being so good at studying soon enough �� All you really need to do in fifth year is pay attention in class and make sure you understand everything. Engage well in class and put up your hands for every single question you have, if you are shy then ask online. Never stay in doubt. As long as you have your basics understood, everything will be easy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

naxmax9 wrote: »
    It's been a week since school started and I'm spending 2hrs a night studying and another 3hrs doing my homework and then another hour for eating. I have no free time anymore and it's just so stressful and then I have an eight-subject to do over the weekend...it's just so much work right now.
    5 hours a night at the start of 5th year is too much, you're more likely to burn out than anything else tbh ... and I doubt much of what you're studying will actually stick if you're overtired.

Do your assigned homework well, and if you have the energy to do 30 / 40 mins of study / revision, great ... don't feel too guilty if it doesn't happen every night, just try not to go to the other extreme either.

Get some exercise into that schedule ... even if it's only a 30 mins brisk walk every day, you'll be surprised how much it will help clear your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

My advice for fifth year is do your homework, study your sraiths most nights and then study when you have upcoming tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Forget that amount of study at this stage, its counterproductive. Concentrate on getting to know your subjects and the breakdown of them and how it relates to the exam papers.

Even though you wont have covered much in detail yet, the knowledge and familiarity with the topics that matter the most and also what you my like the most will benefit you far more when it comes to structuring your study later on.

For now, do your homework and timetable some light revision throughout the week for a max of 2.5 hours a night and 6 hours spread out over the weekend. As the others have said, make sure to eat well, exercise, see friends, watch movies, play games and get 8 hours sleep with no phone or laptop near you.

Being healthy and sharp will help you in the long run far more than disorganised learning at this stage. And try not to worry, in 20 years youll wonder why you ever did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Forget that amount of study at this stage, its counterproductive. Concentrate on getting to know your subjects and the breakdown of them and how it relates to the exam papers.

Even though you wont have covered much in detail yet, the knowledge and familiarity with the topics that matter the most and also what you my like the most will benefit you far more when it comes to structuring your study later on.

For now, do your homework and timetable some light revision throughout the week for a max of 2.5 hours a night and 6 hours spread out over the weekend. As the others have said, make sure to eat well, exercise, see friends, watch movies, play games and get 8 hours sleep with no phone or laptop near you.

Being healthy and sharp will help you in the long run far more than disorganised learning at this stage. And try not to worry, in 20 years youll wonder why you ever did!

Best advice ever!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

As royalthomas said, make sure you understand things in class - particularly in Maths. If you don't understand, ask someone in the class, or the teacher to explain it to you.

Everything will be much easier study later if you have a good grasp of it now, rather than trying to work out what the hell it is in February of 6th year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Teachers might be piling on the work unbeknownst to each other. They all want their cut of the pie. Also if they start nice and gentle it might give you a false sense of the subject's difficulty. Plus there's a lot to be covered in some subjects.
    See if the rest of your class are suffering and say it to year head or guidance councillor.

Advertisement