Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir F2000 Modem Issues

Options
  • 04-09-2018 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi,

I've had enough of using Eir's F2000 modem. Over time both the signal and speed of our broadband continues to drop to the point where it becomes unusable. I am fed up with speaking to technical support and I have tried 3 F2000 modems and the same issue has kept happening with each one. The issue only seems to be related to WiFi. When connected directly to the modem using ethernet I get a consistent speed of 22mbs which we expect. I am wondering if there are any modems that could replace the F2000 or if I could connect an access point to the modem to improve the signal/speed?

Any help appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I'd look at buying a replacement wireless access point.

My preference is a UniFi UAP-AC-lite or Pro. They are abit techy so you might opt for something like a Google WIFI hub or a Netgear Orbi.

When you get one, simply put the f2000 in bridge mode and plug in your new router to the LAN port on the back.

Follow this guide: https://cottse.wordpress.com/2016/01/27/eir-f2000-configure-for-bridge-mode/

Word of WARNING though: this will disable VOIP on the modem. So if you use VOIP then just don't put on bridge mode instead disable the wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FutbolCian

m99T wrote: »
    I'd look at buying a replacement wireless access point.

My preference is a UniFi UAP-AC-lite or Pro. They are abit techy so you might opt for something like a Google WIFI hub or a Netgear Orbi.

When you get one, simply put the f2000 in bridge mode and plug in your new router to the LAN port on the back.

Follow this guide:

Word of WARNING though: this will disable VOIP on the modem. So if you use VOIP then just don't put on bridge mode instead disable the wireless.

Thanks for the info. Out of interest have you used this setup with an F2000 modem?

FutbolCian wrote: »
    Thanks for the info. Out of interest have you used this setup with an F2000 modem?

Yep, here is one of the advanced setups I configured:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Stories/UniFi-and-FTTH-Rethinking-LAN-s-in-Ireland/cns-p/2473683

It can also simply be used as an access point without the switch and other things. AidenL on the forums is using one right now in his house simply connected to his router.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 FutbolCian

m99T wrote: »
    Yep, here is one of the advanced setups I configured:

It can also simply be used as an access point without the switch and other things. AidenL on the forums is using one right now in his house simply connected to his router.

Great stuff, I've just ordered a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE access point. Thanks for your help.

FutbolCian wrote: »
    Great stuff, I've just ordered a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE access point. Thanks for your help.

Best of luck and if you need help setting it up i'll be here on the forums!

• Advertisement
Advertisement