Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parental Controls And Disabling Reset Button

Options
  • 04-09-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

I really need to find out a way to completely take control of the broadband without having to manually confiscate the modem or adapter.
    I’m dealing with smart teenagers here who can’t even have their dinners without staring at their mobile phones. Verbal warning is pretty useless and repeating it is really just time wasting.

Would appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

I really need to find out a way to completely take control of the broadband without having to manually confiscate the modem or adapter.
    I’m dealing with smart teenagers here who can’t even have their dinners without staring at their mobile phones. Verbal warning is pretty useless and repeating it is really just time wasting.

Would appreciate any help!

What modem do you have? A picture might help. I’d say what you need is time based control. Most have it built in.

Disabling the reset is uncommon and I’d say your router doesn’t have it. Put some superglue in the hole though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭EntryDenied12

m99T wrote: »
    What modem do you have? A picture might help. I’d say what you need is time based control. Most have it built in.

Disabling the reset is uncommon and I’d say your router doesn’t have it. Put some superglue in the hole though.
    Thanks for the post.

Standard eircom f2000

I think the superglue won’t last a minute when they start poking it!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Thanks for the post.

Standard eircom f2000

I think the superglue won’t last a minute when they start poking it!

Alright f2000 on the latest firmware looks good for parental controls.

First thing is first logon to the modem and reset the admin password.

Follow this guide: https://www.eir.ie/support/broadband/change-your-modem-admin-password/

With that done next step is setting up parental control:

Follow this guide: https://www.eir.ie/support/broadband/modem-parental-controls/

Finally its time to deal with the reset button!

Three options exist.

1) Superglue that thing as tight as you can.
    2) Open the modem and manually remove the button. (Desolder or put something hard in front of it to prevent resetting)
    3) Poke around the UI for a disable method in software. I don't think it can be done but I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This isnt the parenting forum but if teenagers are bypassing a very intentional control you're putting in place the issue is non technical. Don't superglue the reset switch, confiscate their phone for 2 months if they touch it.

Advertisement