Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Somewhere to park car Sunday night to Friday (student)

• 04-09-2018 3:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

Looking for somewhere to park the car from Sunday evening to Friday while I'm at college at NUIG.

I could get a student permit for parking on campus for 50 euro for the year, but the NUIG parking office told me they don't recommend people park on campus overnight and that people have been towed for leaving a car in the one spot for "excessively long periods of time".

Any other places I could park for the week?

If it's a case I can't park on campus overnight I suppose I could park on campus during the day and then move the car up to the cathedral square car park for the evening and night when it's free but that seems like a lot of bother and I don't know how safe the cathedral car park is to leave a car overnight.

Has anyone here ever parked on campus (opposite quadrangle or opposite kingfisher) overnight without any bother?

Any and all advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭mac1ntosh

There’s a housing estate called Castlelawn Heights on the Headford road. Handy to get parking in there and doesn’t cost a penny. About a ten minute walk to the college. I never parked on the college myself, but the college is very pack for clamping, you’ll see yourself when your walking through the car parks on a daily basis so I’d believe the advice of the college. If your early getting in in the mornings you could park in Corrib and walk / get the bus in, but that’s fills up very quickly

Why can't you park wherever you are living?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have a friend with an empty driveway around the city somewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

I don't understand, if you can get a permit for parking, then why can't you park in the designated spaces without fear of being clamped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Why can't you park wherever you are living?

Just happen to be living in a house in a spot where there's double yellow lines both sides of the road and people are getting clamped a lot

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »

I'm afraid not, I have relatives out GMIT side but that's too far to be any help really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mac1ntosh wrote: »
    There’s a housing estate called Castlelawn Heights on the Headford road. Handy to get parking in there and doesn’t cost a penny. About a ten minute walk to the college. I never parked on the college myself, but the college is very pack for clamping, you’ll see yourself when your walking through the car parks on a daily basis so I’d believe the advice of the college. If your early getting in in the mornings you could park in Corrib and walk / get the bus in, but that’s fills up very quickly

Leaving your car in a housing estate for the day while you work/study is OK. Abandoning it for a week isn't.

TheShow wrote: »
    I don't understand, if you can get a permit for parking, then why can't you park in the designated spaces without fear of being clamped?

I don't know. The parking office said that the crowd that do the clamping on campus are separate to NUIG and have been known to clamp cars for being left in one place for several days, even if they had permits. I honestly don't know why this is the case. I was advised to move the car to a different spot in the campus car parks once or twice a week to "avoid raising suspicion".

(on mobile, couldn't do the replies in one swoop)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,261 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

biko wrote: »

I'm afraid not, I have relatives out GMIT side but that's too far to be any help really
    You could get a leap card and get the 405 to and from Nui then. 3.22 a day would be your cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭ratracer

I don't know. The parking office said that the crowd that do the clamping on campus are separate to NUIG and have been known to clamp cars for being left in one place for several days, even if they had permits. I honestly don't know why this is the case. I was advised to move the car to a different spot in the campus car parks once or twice a week to "avoid raising suspicion".

(on mobile, couldn't do the replies in one swoop)

So similar to parking on campus during the day and moving to cathederal at night, just move the car on campus. Problem solved!

• Advertisement

You could get a leap card and get the 405 to and from Nui then. 3.22 a day would be your cost.

I have accommodation got out Newcastle side, its just there isn't anywhere to park my car during the week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I would be concerned about leaving car in cathedral car park. Don't know how lit up it is at night. Its a somewhat isolated spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

We had students parking their cars on our street and it's as annoying as hell.
    Do the residents in the neighbourhoods mentioned a favour and leave them alone.
    If you need to bring your car into the city, you need to find a place to park it that doesn't infringe on others.
    Pay for parking or leave it at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Where are you coming from on Sunday night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have accommodation got out Newcastle side, its just there isn't anywhere to park my car during the week

do you need the car with you during the week ?

do you need the car with you during the week ?

Not really like I'll be walking everywhere more than likely but I still wouldn't be comfortable having my car on the other side of the city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not really like I'll be walking everywhere more than likely but I still wouldn't be comfortable having my car on the other side of the city

Get rid of the car. Use public transport or look for carpool options to and from home place to college once a week and give petrol money to driver.

Pros:
    Earn few quid from selling car
    Save money on insurance
    Save money on tax
    Save money on fuel
    Save money on parking

Cons:
    Won't be able tell the ladies "I'll pick you up at 8". You could, but it would be weird if you then arrived on a bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cons:
    Won't be able tell the ladies "I'll pick you up at 8". You could, but it would be weird if you then arrived on a bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Go into tonerys on bohermore, tell him your story n they might do you a deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

We had students parking their cars on our street and it's as annoying as hell.
    Do the residents in the neighbourhoods mentioned a favour and leave them alone.
    If you need to bring your car into the city, you need to find a place to park it that doesn't infringe on others.
    Pay for parking or leave it at home.

So you’re saying that a person can’t park a car on a public road where there are no parking restrictions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Seamus Quirke Rd is free to park on unless that's changed recently. It's not an estate so you're not going to be annoying anyone. It's a public road. There double yellow lines on part of the road but there's a section that fine to park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Seamus Quirke Rd is free to park on unless that's changed recently. It's not an estate so you're not going to be annoying anyone. It's a public road. There double yellow lines on part of the road but there's a section that fine to park.

Sections of it flood. (surface water flooding)

Whereabouts is the section where you can park? I can't recall ever seeing cars parked along it.

Edit: I have it now, I had the stretch of road that goes by aldi in my head, forgot about the bit before the roundabout, doesn't look like a bad spot tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

Whereabouts is the section where you can park? I can't recall ever seeing cars parked along it

From entry to Snipe lawn estate to the roundabout at rear of hospital. That section was OK to park. It hasn't changed as far as I know. Its very busy during day but on a Sunday evening I can't imagine you'd have any problem. Very hand for leaving on Fridays too, just across from Arts building.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Park in Dun or Gort Na Coiribe, a number of friends did the same thing when in college in NUI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Are you willing to pay for a driveway spot opposite NUIG? Is so, drop me a PM. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

So you’re saying that a person can’t park a car on a public road where there are no parking restrictions?

I'm saying have the good grace to think of the local residents before you turn their doorstep into a public car park.
    It's no joke having to do a 3-4 point turn to get in or out of your own driveway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,676 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Not for days at a time, no. Parking ancillary to a journey that you are making is a legitimate use of the public highway, but using it to store your goods for prolonged periods when you don't require them is not. It doesn't make any difference that your "goods" happen to be a car.

The risk you run is that your car will be treated as "abandoned".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,082 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Not for days at a time, no. Parking ancillary to a journey that you are making is a legitimate use of the public highway, but using it to store your goods for prolonged periods when you don't require them is not. It doesn't make any difference that your "goods" happen to be a car.

The risk you run is that your car will be treated as "abandoned".

On that basis, parking outside your own house is no different to parking outside someone elses.

How long am I allowed to park outside my own house for without taking a journey?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,676 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

On that basis, parking outside your own house is no different to parking outside someone elses.

How long am I allowed to park outside my own house for without taking a journey?
    You've no clear right to do so at all. The road is for journeys, not storage. But the guards are unlikely to take any action if your neighbours don't complain about the car, and your neighbours are unlikely to complain if they know it to be your car.

It's a different matter if you park your car in a neighbourhood where nobody recognises it, and leave it there for days on end. Especially if parking is at a premium in the area or, obviously, if you park in a way that cause someone some inconvenience or annoyance, before long somebody will report your car to the guards, and when the guards observe that it's registered to an address miles away they may treat it as abandoned. (If it's registered to a local address they'll call round and suggest you move it.)

Advertisement