Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Way Of Extending Wifi Signal Strength

Options
  • 04-09-2018 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Hi.
    I have read various other threads but am still unsure as to the best way to achieve what I'm looking for.
    Essentially, I have a Vodafone 4G mobile broadband router installed in my living room (I would like to keep it here if possible though I can easily plug it in elsewhere).
    The problem with this is - the missus works from home a lot and we have an office set up upstairs in one of the bedrooms for this purpose (don't have room downstairs to set up there instead).
    The wifi strength upstairs is very poor which is of course impacting on her connection into her work network.
    If she plus the router in beside here this does the job of course - but this isn't a long term solution to be doing this every day.

What is the best method of getting a decent speed upstairs on the assumption that the router stays in the living room?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭m99T

Best method?

Run an ethernet wire upstairs and use a wired connection. If a wired connection is not available then use another wireless router to create a network upstairs. (Protip: If you name the networks the same, and use the same password and security type, your devices will connect to the one with the strongest signal)

Mid tier methods?

Get a router with a better wireless range. I can suggest a few but again they might not do the trick.

-OR-

Get a set of homeplugs if you don't want to run a wire. Plug one beside the router and plug it in then place the other upstairs. There are different types. Some will extend the wifi and others will act like an invisible cable through your hours. I'd opt for the extended WiFi ones in your case.

BUT Consider this:

If you are using a 4G modem check that when you move it upstairs it's the WIFI signal improving and not the 4G signal itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

m99T wrote: »
    Best method?

Run an ethernet wire upstairs and use a wired connection. If a wired connection is not available then use another wireless router to create a network upstairs. (Protip: If you name the networks the same, and use the same password and security type, your devices will connect to the one with the strongest signal)

Mid tier methods?

Get a router with a better wireless range. I can suggest a few but again they might not do the trick.

-OR-

Get a set of homeplugs if you don't want to run a wire. Plug one beside the router and plug it in then place the other upstairs. There are different types. Some will extend the wifi and others will act like an invisible cable through your hours. I'd opt for the extended WiFi ones in your case.

BUT Consider this:

If you are using a 4G modem check that when you move it upstairs it's the WIFI signal improving and not the 4G signal itself.

Thank you very much for that very detailed response.
    Really appreciate it.
    Just on the home plugs option which sounds like the one I would try - you wouldn't have any recommendations or are they generally pretty much all the same effectiveness-wise?
    I don't mind paying a bit more of a once-off cost if the results are significantly better with some models over others.
    Thanks again.

gaillimh wrote: »
    Thank you very much for that very detailed response.
    Really appreciate it.
    Just on the home plugs option which sounds like the one I would try - you wouldn't have any recommendations or are they generally pretty much all the same effectiveness-wise?
    I don't mind paying a bit more of a once-off cost if the results are significantly better with some models over others.
    Thanks again.

Not a problem!

Homeplugs are sometimes hit and miss.

I swear by these for a simple wire passthrough: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Broadband-Extender-wired-Powerline/dp/B015E3MXKC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1536070575&sr=8-6&keywords=home+plugs

Cheap and have always been reliable in my opinion. I have installed several sets of them (Although I try and get the black ones, they look better).

In your situation I would recommend these however:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536070599&sr=8-3&keywords=homeplug+wireless

Simply follow the instructions, plug it in downstairs first and clone your WIFI access point settings to the device so it has the same SSID and Password then move it upstairs and plug in your downstairs one to the router using the ethernet cable provided. Hey presto your wifi is now upstairs.

Would still push for installing a wire instead, but these devices are fairly reliable and cost effective. If you need any help i'd be happy to explain further or any aspect so please do ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

m99T wrote: »
    Not a problem!

Homeplugs are sometimes hit and miss.

I swear by these for a simple wire passthrough: https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Broadband-Extender-wired-Powerline/dp/B015E3MXKC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1536070575&sr=8-6&keywords=home+plugs

Cheap and have always been reliable in my opinion. I have installed several sets of them (Although I try and get the black ones, they look better).

In your situation I would recommend these however:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Broadband-Configuration-UK/dp/B01LXOZ4EN/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536070599&sr=8-3&keywords=homeplug+wireless

Simply follow the instructions, plug it in downstairs first and clone your WIFI access point settings to the device so it has the same SSID and Password then move it upstairs and plug in your downstairs one to the router using the ethernet cable provided. Hey presto your wifi is now upstairs.

Would still push for installing a wire instead, but these devices are fairly reliable and cost effective. If you need any help i'd be happy to explain further or any aspect so please do ask.
    Brilliant stuff thanks a mill.
    Just one question on your initial post where you suggest using another wireless router. If we assume that running a wire upstairs isn't a runner (I'd need to check that one out) - do you mean that i could buy another router (instead of the plugs), set it up using the same network details as on the main router and it should just work straight off the bat?
    Apologies if I have misunderstood that.
    As you can probably guess I'm out of my comfort zone here :-)

gaillimh wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff thanks a mill.
    Just one question on your initial post where you suggest using another wireless router. If we assume that running a wire upstairs isn't a runner (I'd need to check that one out) - do you mean that i could buy another router (instead of the plugs), set it up using the same network details as on the main router and it should just work straight off the bat?
    Apologies if I have misunderstood that.
    As you can probably guess I'm out of my comfort zone here :-)

Not a problem! So if you wanted to do that you would still need a wire or the home plugs (the cheaper ones that don’t have wireless built in). I’d say getting the wireless homeplugs is a good bet in your case though instead of using a separate router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Rather than starting a new thread, perhaps I can resurrect this one.

OP - how did you get on? I have a similar issue and I'm looking to get those plug-in wifi extenders.

@m99T (or anyone else who can help!!) - is it possible to get those plugs but with more than one extender plug i.e. one plug for the router and perhaps two or three for around the house?

Many thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You can get away with up to 5 HomePlugs but be aware they share the same bandwidth. More than 5 in total is a bad idea.

Cheers Ed - 3 or 4 should do it but I can only find a set of 2 plugs in the usual stores.

Do you know where I might get one with 3 or 4 in a set?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unfortunately you wont, they all sell as singles and pairs. Unfortunately TP sell only kits which is a bit of a screw you to their customers who want to expand. End up buying six in order to use 4 units.

Thanks Ed, appreciate that.

No wonder I couldn't find them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Wherever you buy make sure you can return them. I've found them to get realy slow with more than 3 devices

Cheers - 3 would be my max. I will probably get away with 2 at a push.

Advertisement