Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducting for cables

Options
  • 03-09-2018 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

looking at getting possibly 2" ducting so I can run cables from the garage to electric gates,

whats the cheapest option for about 80m of ducting, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Use direct burial cable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭tech

I know I can bury the SWA cable , but will have CAT 6 also

You wouldn't be able to put the two in the same duct anyway though

You can get db cat6, fibre etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭hesker

Normal gauge hydrodare is quite cheap but you’ll find a post on here talking about condensation risk and problems down the line. Don’t know why this would be unique to hydrodare but there you go

I came across flexible conduit which is more expensive but would probably pay for itself if you don’t have a straight run

I know you didn’t ask for this but having just gone through all this I can’t stop myself from throwing out the following

- look up conduit fill calcs if you haven’t already. Don’t be tempted to over fill conduit
    - Try to minimise or eliminate sharp bends. More than 2 in a 80m run and you will have trouble
    - don’t back fill trench until you have cables pulled through if you have bends
    - use good strong pulling rope. Builders twine snaps really easily
    - you can get cable lube to help but if conduit is wide enough you shouldn’t need it
    - getting twine into long conduit runs is a breeze with a vacuum cleaner and a diy conduit mouse
    - run all cables together. Cat6 can easily get damaged if you’re pulling it separately and it’s wrapping around other Cat6 or Coax en route

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭wait4me

gctest50 wrote: »
    You wouldn't be able to put the two in the same duct anyway though
    You can get db cat6, fibre etc

Just for my own interest. Why cannot you put the two in the same duct? Interference or just size? Thanks

• Advertisement

I would say interference, but I leave the swa out direct in concrete and cat 6 in some polyduct

wait4me wrote: »
    Just for my own interest. Why cannot you put the two in the same duct? Interference or just size? Thanks

wait4me wrote: »

Interference is one reason, the other is if it gets damaged/chewed by rodents the data stuff may become live

gctest50 wrote: »
    Interference is one reason, the other is if it gets damaged/chewed by rodents the data stuff may become live

Think I'll get 1inch poly duct. 120e for 150m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

Hydrolase cannot be used. Electrical ducts which are buried must be coloured red.

[

This is just for cat6 cabling
    quote="Risteard81;108029970"]Hydrolase cannot be used. Electrical ducts which are buried must be coloured red.[/quote]

• Advertisement
Advertisement