Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart video doorbell with programmable silent mode?

Options
  • 03-09-2018 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭

Any recommendations of a smart video doorbell which has a silent feature where can specify what hours not to ring the chime eg when kids napping? I see Ring and Nest have a silent mode but is only for a period of time and you have to set it manually, whereas I would like to set times for it not to chime as otherwise will forget to manually set silent mode. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could leave Ring in silent all the time, but during daytime hours get it to alert your phone/lights/similar when someone pressed the bell. Far from ideal but can be done easily.

Ring are good at adding and updating features so chances are they will do it themselves in any case if you decide to go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

In the Nest settings, you can turn the indoor chime completely off so all you will get is a phone notification (and google home announcements, but you can also turn them off if you like.).

The current quiet time allows you to mute for between 30 mins and 3 hours but doesnt have a schedule option - so you'd have to do it manually every day if you wanted it.
    It seems to be a common use case for many with kids so I'd guess they will address. Even enabling silent activation via API would allow users to use IFTTT to do it via a schedule.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It would be great to be able to say to Google Home something like, "Hey Google, nap time" and for it to trigger a routine that does something like the following for a few hours:

- Mute the doorbell
    - Turns off the light/motion sensors in the bedroom
    - etc.

The idea of putting the "bell" on a smart plug is a decent idea. I do similar with an IP camera that I only want on when we are out of the house. The plug and thus camera power on as park of the "goodbye" routine and back off as part of the "hello" routine.

Advertisement