Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakes. Rights & access.

Options
  • 02-09-2018 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

I only realised lately that you have no right to kayak on certain lakes. I always thought that you could canoe or kayak on any lake apart from private lakes.
    This being the case, where would I get a list of lakes that are kayak unfriendly!
    And what gives an angling club the rights to these lakes. I rarely see anyone fishing on them either. Is it the same for some rivers? I'm amazed and shocked to be honest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

It would probably be easier to find out what lakes you want to kayak on first and then contact the respective clubs / landowners as I doubt such a list exists!

Im not sure on the actual law regarding Kayaking but I presume on lakes, clubs who have been granted licences to fish these lakes with boats would control any floating vessels on them.

I could be a mile off however I hate lake fishing :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

spoke2cun wrote: »
    I only realised lately that you have no right to kayak on certain lakes. I always thought that you could canoe or kayak on any lake apart from private lakes.
    This being the case, where would I get a list of lakes that are kayak unfriendly!
    And what gives an angling club the rights to these lakes. I rarely see anyone fishing on them either. Is it the same for some rivers? I'm amazed and shocked to be honest.

AFAIK, and IANAL: If someone owns the bed and soil of the river/lake, they can stop kayaks using it. If someone just owns the fishing rights, they cannot. However, landowner permission would be needed to access the lake unless there is public access. A club might just have the fishing rights, for example, but they might also own the only slipway access, and can say who is/is not allowed to use it.

Many clubs would be kayak unfriendly because they have no idea where a kayak has been used recently and therefore the risk of introducing disease or invasive species is high. The crayfish plague outbreak in the River Suir, for example, only occurred downstream of the new slalom canoe course, and shortly after it's opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭spoke2cun

I understand the concern about introducing diseases but I continually see lakes boats being used on different lakes. Is this not a concern too?

Advertisement