Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilets slow to empty

Options
  • 01-09-2018 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭

Upstairs ensuite has always been slow to empty and slower again to fill the cistern.
    Downstairs toilet is now emptying slowly (cistern fills up very quick). Obviously a blockage but how the hell to get at them?
    Tried that red durabond unblocking liquid (pushed a length of hosepipe down around the bends and poured it down that)....could hear savage gurgling in the pipes after doing the upstairs one, but tried flushing both after 30 mins and no joy.
    They are newer model ones and you can barely get anything around the u bend.
    Checked the outside drain and all is clean and clear.
    Is it time to get the lad out with the flexible camera and jet them?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You need to find where the pipe leaves the house and goes overground. there will most likely be a plastic cover but it might be metal. If it is full of water that means the blockage is downstream. If it is not blocked, it means the blockage is between there and the toilet.

A slow-filling cistern is a completely different problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

You need to find where the pipe leaves the house and goes overground. there will most likely be a plastic cover but it might be metal. If it is full of water that means the blockage is downstream. If it is not blocked, it means the blockage is between there and the toilet.

A slow-filling cistern is a completely different problem.

Found the source!!

It comes out at the side of the house and falls down to meet the main runaway. Blocked solid with toilet paper (did I mention there's 4 women in the house??!!).
    Half an hour cleaning, run the power hose through each section, 2 large buckets of hot water and a bottle of fairy liquid should do it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

mfceiling wrote: »
    Found the source!!

It comes out at the side of the house and falls down to meet the main runaway. Blocked solid with toilet paper (did I mention there's 4 women in the house??!!).
    Half an hour cleaning, run the power hose through each section, 2 large buckets of hot water and a bottle of fairy liquid should do it!!

Don't bother with the Fairy liquid, better with a few capfulls of bleach.

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Don't bother with the Fairy liquid, better with a few capfulls of bleach.

I read online (stupid I know) that it lubricates the waste pipe. I poured it directly at the 3 way junction into the main pipe that runs away.
    Less fancy toilet roll needed to be honest!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Wet facial wipes (baby wipes) are also something to watch out for. Absolute scourge of drainage systems for causing blockages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I don't know if toilet paper alone would cause it.
    Maybe if it was snagging on something in the pipes, or too much of a fall allowing the liquid to leave the solid behind.

Lads I have 3 daughters alongside a missus who think that using 10 rolls of toilet paper a week is perfectly acceptable.
    Unfortunately it was a mix of toilet paper and toilet waste.
    No wipes used here anymore thank god and we never put them down the toilet either!!

Advertisement