Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Previous medical issues - should I go private??

Options
  • 01-09-2018 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I can’t seem to find an answer for this question so hoping someone can advise. After missed miscarriages and chemical pregnancy disappointments, I’m now over 5 weeks. Blood tests look good so far.
    I had a lung clot a year ago and have thyroid issues so I’m thinking I should go private this time. My Q is does the one consultant look after all those issues or will I still need to see separate consultants?? Not sure there would be a point going private if this was the case.
    Would so appreciate a reply. Need to make a decision soon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

In my opionion public care is very good but if you can afford private it might give you peace of mind. good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

I'm public and I have an underactive thyroid since before pregnancy. I am attending the Coombe. When I applied to do the Domino scheme I was placed under a consultant instead because of my thyroid. This consultant met me for about 5 minutes and then released me back to the midwife clinic, although I'm still not technically 'Domino' the midwife clinic is great because they see you at your appointment time, it's local and they're really thorough. But it's still not a consultant..

I told that consultant in the Coombe that I see a thyroid consultant in Loughlinstown and he said not to attend there any more as there's a conflict of two teams making decisions regarding my care...however the fact he immediately released me back to the midwife clinic - despite telling me that my levels were wrong - made me continue seeing the thyroid consultant in Loughlinstown.

My thyroid has been managed entirely between Loughlinstown and my GP, under the direction of a letter from Loughlinstown advising them what to do. Never once has anyone from the Coombe been involved in the care of my thyroid, and I have been sick and lacking energy all summer, and it took 3 blood tests of unsatisfactory results before my meds were changed.

Finally, I have secured an appointment with the endocrine team in the Coombe, at which point I'll be 36weeks pregnant. I have been really, really frustrated with the lack of care or even interest from them, so if you are in a position to go private, then do it.

Sorry for the long winded post but I just wanted to paint an accurate picture of the public system when you have an underlying health condition that can have a serious impact on pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've had pregnancy complications and I think I would have gotten the same care public or private but I loved having one consultant who's literally held my hand and given me the continuity of care I know the public system can't guarantee. Plus I'm having a section and want the best shot at a private room to myself, which I got on my last two babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oliveoyl

Thanks so much for the replies. I went public last time, which was fine, and had a separate endocrine consultant in the same hospital. Appointments for thyroid and gynaecologist were at different times so no continuity of care between them. Now I have the added complication of being prone to clotting so that’s why I wondered if it would be better to be under a private consultant who would manage all of those issues. I’m just not sure in reality if this would happen or if it would be like last time with another consultant thrown in to monitor clotting.

I can see your frustration!! Getting the thyroid levels right in pregnancy is so important. Glad you’ve finally gotten sorted though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I don't know the answer to your questions but you could ring a few of the secretaries of the private consultants you'd like to attend and see if they could answer your questions definitively.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hiya,

I’m 9 weeks pregnant after a mmc in March. I don’t have a thyroid problem but have a very unusual medical history and I am going private.

Obviously, it’s depends on what you can afford but if I were you and I could afford to go private I would. I would presume that my obstetrician would contact any other consultants should there need to be discussions etc.

HTH x

Clongal00 wrote: »
    Hiya,

I’m 9 weeks pregnant after a mmc in March. I don’t have a thyroid problem but have a very unusual medical history and I am going private.

Obviously, it’s depends on what you can afford but if I were you and I could afford to go private I would. I would presume that my obstetrician would contact any other consultants should there need to be discussions etc.

HTH x

Congrats on your pregnancy! And thanks for your advice. I think I will go private and take other people’s advice to phone around consultants and clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Goldenlady

Hi Op. I've just had a little boy 9 weeks ago, and with a history of blood clots my GP told me to go public that I would receive extra care due to the complications & I did. I had far more scans, appointments etc. I found the public care efficient and i don't believe i missed anything by not being private
    Good luck x

Advertisement